One more question - difficulty level of activities
    DebbyJG is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default One more question - difficulty level of activities

Hi again!

While I still have internet access for the next couple days before our move, I thought I'd get one more question in. This is something I'll be able to find out once I can get in and play around a little on my own, but even with the 14 day guarantee I still have to front the cost so I thought I'd ask first...

I alluded to this a little in my first post, but I have a concern that the challenge level of the K or grade 1 activities will be significantly less than the level my dd has been learning at. All I have to go by are the demo activities, and for the section with K and 1 selections, it seemed to me that the activities presented were more of a pre K or young K level. Like, for example, the one where they say a sound and the student finds the words that begin with that sound. My first thought was, this is what my 3 year old has been doing right now! The demos seemed very heavily slanted to the pre-reader/pre-writer, but by the end of K and certainly in grade 1, many kids are at least beginning readers.

So, my question is, are the demo actvities really indicative of the level of challenge I can expect for my daughter to be going through (who will likely be doing mostly grade 1 classes), or are the demo's from that section from the pre-K program? (If that's the case, I really wish they would put some K and grade 1 examples on there to try out too!)

Thanks so much!
    Debby
    Homeschooling, baby-slinging, mom of three!

DD 6 Natalie - DS 3 Ethan - DD 1 Ella

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

I looked the demos over carefully. In the PK-1st grade section, the first two demos are from the preschool level and the next three are from the kindergarten level. So, you are correct! There are no first grade demos in there!

Take a look at the first grade language arts Scope and Sequence to get an idea of what is covered at that level. Although basic single-letter phonics sounds are reviewed, the reviews are fairly quick. A lot of sight words are introduced, as well as some blends, such as /ng/, /er/, and /sh/.

If you register your student as a first grader, she will have easy access to all of the kindergarten lessons and all of the second grade lessons, too. If her level needs adjusted more than that, you can request an adjustment and Time4Learning will make the change within 24 hours. There is no additional charge for this service.

It is fine to have a student working in, for example, kindergarten math and second grade language. My own kids tend to read quite early and find math challenging, so that's what my six-year-old is doing right now.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

DebbyJG is offline Junior Member Newbie

Whew! Thanks, that's good to know!

I mean, it's hard to reallly know about what level of stuff she would be learning if she wasn't homeschooled, since she's not in The System, I was starting to wonder, Gee, is THIS all they are teaching first graders these days??

I'll get us all signed up in a couple weeks, once we get moved in and settled and our internet access up and running. I'm looking forward to it!

Debby
    Homeschooling, baby-slinging, mom of three!

DD 6 Natalie - DS 3 Ethan - DD 1 Ella

seashell is offline Member Regular

My daughter is 6, and I think is about at the 1st grade level- she, too, found the prek-1st demos much too easy, but really loved the math demos for 2nd-3rd grade, and the story creator from the prek-1st, so we signed up. She got placed into 2nd grade, which I think is a little ahead of her for reading and I try to steer her to the grade 1 language arts. I do think the demo levels are a little misleading, but the levels of the lessons in the program are probably pretty good, and you can adjust as much as you need.

2CowboysMom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default I understand

I see and understand exactly what you are talking about. My 5 year old is on First grade level.. and while i am very proud of him, it is realistically mid kindergarten work, at least in my school system. So your thoughts are not wrong. I don't homeschool my children though.. well sorta.. see my oldest is in public school 2nd grade and my youngest is 5 and missed the cut off for kindergarten but was ready to go.. he alreadydid a year of preschool so we decided i'd home preschool him. Anyway.. the cool thing about this program is you can hop around.. he does the 1st grade program but hops down to the K level for amusement (he likes knowing all the answers and the characters are cute) . So it does depend on how hard your school systems curriculum is.. if its going to match up or not.. But if your homeschooling, it doesn't matter, go at your childs pace.. and you will usually find homeschoolers with good homeschooling parents are ahead of the school system. Have fun and goodluck