Planning to homeschool
    Cynphul956 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Planning to homeschool

Hi there! My name is Cynthia & I'm new here. I live in TX and plan to start homeschooling my soon to be 11st grader, we will be Roadschooling. Its summertime, so what can I do to prepare for the transition? I.e. do I need to unenroll my daughter? Do I need to inform someone of our decision? Do I need to update someone on her progress?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Planning to homeschool

Hi, Cynthia. Welcome to the forum!

I don't live in Texas, but I have some experience interpreting homeschool laws. As always, parents are responsible for knowing, understanding, and applying the laws themselves. That's just my little disclaimer!

Texas is known as the least restrictive state in which to homeschool. Here is all Texas requires:

1. Teach the required subjects.

The required subjects are: math, reading, spelling and grammar, and a course in good citizenship.

Kelly's notes: Although science and history are not required by state law, any college your student applies to will require them for admittance, so you’ll want to make sure to teach those too. Also, note that Texas does not dictate the content of any of these subjects, so anything that can reasonably be called "spelling" or "grammar" or whatever is fine. Time4Learning covers "good citizenship" throughout the course of the social studies curriculum. It's things like identifying our flag, understanding the presidency, learning about voting, and more complicated "government" things as kids get older.

2. Use a written curriculum.

The private school law as interpreted by the Texas Supreme Court requires that you use some form of written curriculum (online programs meet this requirement) and that you operate your homeschool in a “bona fide” manner.

Kelly's note: This just means that the curriculum must be visual, in that you can't simply discuss things with your child and call that "school." Also, you can't just say you homeschool to get out of sending your child to school. You must actually teach them.

Here is what to do if you are contacted by the public school about where your child is enrolled:
    If you are contacted by the public school wanting to know where your child is enrolled in school, you should send a letter assuring the school that your children are being legally taught at home.

Kelly's note: Texas doesn't require notification, but it can be a good idea to let them know so you aren't accidentally tagged as truant. School forms are often designed for students transferring to public or private school (homeschools are considered private schools in Texas), so they often ask for things like the name of the school the student will be transferring to. The answer is "homeschool" (or your homeschool's name if you decide to name it). The answer is not "Time4Learning." You would never use the name of the curriculum you are using (whether book-based or online) as the school name.

I hope this helps! Oh, also note that Texas doesn't require testing of homeschooled students.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!