Possibly my last question
    PokeyBug is offline Junior Member

Default Possibly my last question

I'm pretty much sold on this curriculum, but I have one (hopefully final) question. The curriculum I'm using comes with day-by-day instructions. For example, today was our 97th day, and our curriculum exactly which lessons should be taught, which worksheets to use, and even what homework to assign. Is T4L set up similarly, or will I need to figure out which lessons I want to teach and in which order? Or is that already done for me?

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

The program has done all the work for you; it teaches the lesson. You, as the learning coach, help guide your child as they work. There are worksheets with some lessons. You will have an icon for worksheets if one is available. It is probably easiest to go in order of the lessons. Some do build upon each other. If you find a lesson that you feel your child has already mastered, by all means skip it, or skip to the quiz or test, if there is one. If your child masters it, keep moving onward and upward!

Tips on Using T4L

Best wishes!
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

Mandy in TN is offline Senior Member

No. T4L is not like Sonlight or WinterPromise where you have an instructor's guide written for the parent teacher that tells you in a one page spreadsheet grid what you are supposed to do each day of the week. No. T4L is not like Calvert where you have a manual that guides you through each day telling you everything you need to have handy and what you need to do to teach a lesson.

T4L is simpler than that. The student logs in and opens a subject. He goes to the arrow for that subject and clicks on the next star. For LA and math you may need scratch paper. If there is a resource that needs to be printed it will be within the LA lesson (spelling lists, spelling worksheets, etc.) or below the the lesson star in math. I print out and keep in a file things ds does within the LA lessons. We have other math, so, if I print those, I don't usually keep them. For LA extensions you may want to puchase the books from which excerpts are used to read in their entirety. For science and social studies you will want to keep a notebook. Assignments, activities, and experiments are found within the lessons. You may also want to have your child take notes. On the parent page there should be a list of everything you need if you want to do the science experiments at home.

So, no, T4L does not have an instructor's guide that will plan out your day for you the parent/ teacher outside of the program, but it doesn't need one. It is pretty self-explanatory.

HTH-
    Mandy
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

Thanks for the replies! Sorry it took me so long to check this post. But, good to know that it actually is as easy as it sounds. I'm doing Abeka right now, and it's simply too much preparation!

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

You can use the Activity Scheduler to tell you how many lessons in each subject your child should do each day. That way you don't even have to figure that out. This is the best program. We've used it for over 5 years now.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

TFS, Kathi! I was wondering about that, but I figured it might be something I had to figure out once I have access to the program.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

You just tell it when you are starting and when you want to finish and what lessons you want to do. It gives you a schedule of how many lessons to do each day. It's great.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota