Potential user with question about math
    kingphilipmom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Potential user with question about math

Hello,
    We are considering purchasing time4learning to assist our 10 year old daughter with the core subjects, but we are most concerned about her math skills. She is testing two grades below grade level in math (we had her evaluated by two different sources). She is currently in a private school after completing four miserable years at our local public school. We are considering homeschooling her next year and thought this might be a good introduction for our family. Our question is in regards to how the students "work on" the math portion. Since this program is computer-based, how do students calculate problems such as multiplication, division, etc. Are they working with scratch paper at the desk and then entering the answer into the program using their keyboard? We couldn't find a demo of the math program to figure out how this works. Thanks for the information!
    Lisa & Alan
    Parents of (2) girls, ages 10 & 6

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Some demos are available here. The math demos aren't the types of problems you are asking about, though. I understand your concerns, because I had the same question before we started.

A few lessons instruct the student to do the work on scratch paper. The majority of the lessons are done strictly on the computer. I have been amazed at the creativity of the program designers in coming up with alternatives to paper and pencil that actually make math concepts easier to understand for visual learners.

If you think about it, most common math "problems" (such as long division and multi-digit multiplication) are a series of small steps. The computer program doesn't just put the problem on the screen and expect the student to work it out. The program guides the student through the process, step-by-step, allowing the student to input data a little at a time until he arrives at the correct answer.

Time4Learning does allow you to try the program, risk-free, for two weeks. That might be the best way for you to evaluate how the math lessons would work for your child.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

I would like to try the 2 week trial offer. When I go to register, it asks me for my credit card so they can start billing the full monthly fee. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks for your help!
    Lisa & Alan

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

You need to sign up and then, if you decide the program won't work for you, cancel before two weeks has elapsed and the payment will be credited back to your account.

Let us know what you think.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Default THANKS!

We're going to give it a try. Thanks for the prompt response!
    Lisa & Alan

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Kingphillipmom,

Welcome! I have not been on line for the last week and I'm catching up. I happened to see your post and wanted to tell you that we LOVE how T4L'ing has helped our children.

We have 4 using the program and are in our tenth year of homeschooling. I find my children do GREAT using paper and pencil at the computer desk while working on their math.

I didn't know if you realized there are also resource sheets that you print out and it has your child work on them through the lesson? It's wonderful!

Looking forward to hearing how well your sweet little girl does
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

adelenpaul is offline Member Regular

My 10yo daughter is using T4L as her core for math. It's been great. We keep a spiral notebook or a dry erase board handy for her to make any computations. She is adhd and so trying to do things in her head without writing anything down, sometimes isn't the most effective. She also uses the variety of math tools T4L has available online quite a bit. They're really terrific and I am confident she is solidly learning and retaining.

We've done a lot of different math programs and for the price, this is a great one!! I only wish it went past algebra as we'll be finished with that by first semester next year. Ack! I've become so spoiled.

Just wanted to report that so far, my daughter is loving the math. That's a great idea about the white-board. I will definitely try that! THANKS!
    Lisa & Alan

ergon4 is offline Member Regular

Default Math Tools

One of the neat "extras" with the Time4Learning math program are the onboard math tools. It includes tools such as Base Ten blocks, calculator, counters, visual fraction helper, geoboard, number line, and solid shaper. These tools can really help when trying to figure out a problem...kind of like virtual manipulatives. This is especially helpful when trying to "visualize" a problem before solving. Doesn't completely eliminate the need for scratch paper at times, but a terrific addition to the math program.

Kerry
    Homeschooling in NC since 1999
    Raising homegrown geeks...one laptop at a time. Check out my Topsy-Techie blog at http://topsytechie.wordpress.com/