Pre-k ?

Thread: Pre-k ?

desnew2hs is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Pre-k ?

Hi all,
    I'm happy to say things are going great with my son he is very happy. I still worry he is not getting enough but that's just me a worrier.

My daughter is 4 and im considering using t4l for her as well. Anyone using it for there younger children?
    Thoughts ideas

Thank you

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hi, desnew2hs

Welcome to Time4Learning. So glad things are going well with your son! I've been homeschooling 13 years and that feeling of my kids never getting enough has always been a constant. I've learned, though, that I will never teach my kids all there is to learn/know. Actually, I'm learning with them and I will never know it all either. lol

Time4Learning starts at pre-k. So, yes, you can use it for your 4-year-old. I would find things to do with her that are hands-on also. Some crafts and activities. Maybe also go on hikes or walks at the park and learn about insects, birds, plants (science). The possibilities are endless.

I look forward to seeing you around the forums.....
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass

Ruth_Lanton is offline Member

Kids don't really "need" curriculum for pre-K. They need time to play and access to resources for their creativity and curiosity. Formal curriculum materials are fine if the child enjoys them- but it's also OK if they don't. Young children's "work" is play- it's how they evaluate the world and grow their brains.

If I was using TFL for a 4 year old, I wouldn't "make her" do a certain number of activities per week, nor would I try to control how many of each subject she did at a time. I'd simply have the entire pre-K curriculum available to her as "computer games" and let her own natural curiosity move her forward in whichever subject interested her at the time. I'd also provide plenty of hands-on things like dolls, building blocks, coloring materials, etc.
    Ruth, single mom to Jack, 13, Hannah, 19, and Leah, 20.