Problems/Questions
    Laura Zimmerman is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Problems/Questions

A few months ago, our family decided to subscribe and try out T4L. I was frustrated, had a lot of problems, and didn't feel like I understood the program at all. We only did one month and cancelled. I really (really!) wanted to like T4L which is why I am back here writing this. Hopefully, I can change from being confused to being a satisfied long-term customer.

The problems I had were:

1. I had to email support when I wanted to switch from PreK to K and wait a whole day for the change to be made, this wasn't something I could change myself on the fly. In the FAQs it says you have access 3 grades at a time. Was I doing something wrong? I don't want my youngest son to just be stuck in PreK, I want him to have access to the kindergarten and first grade material as well.

2. I was going to use this as a supplement to what we were doing for my second grader. When we tried to use it, it looked to me like it was just full lessons but I thought I had read that others were using it as a supplement. I found it very confusing and I had no idea how to use just bits and pieces of it or to find what I was looking for. Is there a video or something to read that explains how to do this or do most people just use T4L as their only curriculum?

3. If we choose to use it as a stand alone curriculum is there a video or help document on how to get through it?

4. They say this is a pay per month program so I was very disappointed to hear that if you cancel for a month or two or over the summer that your child's progress is erased. If I chose to do this and not subscribe for a month when we have Christmas break how will I get all of my kids back where they were? Is this possible? If so, is it a time consuming process? Do they just have to start over?

5. I thought T4L was a stand alone curriculum and that we didn't need other things. If this is the case, why is there a program I see on the side bar called Time 4 Writing and another called Time 4 Art? Is T4L really a whole curriculum or am I going to have to pay for other things?

Thanks to anyone who can help me understand a little better.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Laura. Thanks for coming back and giving us a chance to address your issues.

1. The preschool is entirely separate from the rest of Time4Learning. You will notice that even the preschool reports are accessed in a different area than the regular reports. Time4Learning members have access to one grade above and one grade below their registered level. Since there is no grade below preschool, preschool students may have the kindergarten level added to their account upon request. Be sure the support team knows you want to ADD kindergarten, and not REPLACE preschool with kindergarten.

2. Parents supplement in many different ways. You can access the scope and sequence (lesson plans) from your parent login. Choose the lesson activity you want your student to do. Input the lesson activity number into the Activity Finder to access the material. Again, the process is different for preschool, where it's fairly easy to just find the topic you want among the icons.

3. Click on the Help/FAQs tab at the top of this page to read the Getting Started Guide and all of the Hints. They are very helpful in understanding the program. Once more, not everything applies to the preschool program.

4. Time4Learning incurs a fee for every month your student's records are maintained. Because parents do want to take a break sometimes and not have their child's progress erased, Time4Learning allows you to put your account in "dormant" status for four dollars per month. The four dollars covers the cost of maintaining your student's records, and allows you to easily start up where you left off. To put your account in dormant status, log in as a parent, click on the Account Info and Updates tab, and select Make Your Account Dormant at the bottom.

5. Time4Art is offered free of charge to upper level students (grades 4-8), after one month of membership. Students may access Time4Art, free, for six months, which is usually enough time to complete the program. After that, a one-year extension may be purchased for ten dollars, if desired.

Time4Learning includes plenty of writing instruction and practice, which the parent must evaluate and grade. Time4Writing is a separate course that was created to address the needs of parents who want a third party's involvement in assessing their student's writing. Students enrolled in Time4Writing are assigned a person writing teacher, who offers feedback on their assignments. It is not required.

Time4Learning provides a complete language and math curriculum, with science and social studies available at most levels. The science and social studies lessons are limited until third grade, but you may notice that much of the preschool material and all of the K, 1, and 2 language arts extensions are based on science and social studies themes. I have had great success by simply checking out library books on the current theme. There are a few excellent separate online social studies and science lessons for grades 1 and 2. Science and social studies topics are integrated within the preschool program.

I hope this helps you get the most out of Time4Learning. Please let us know if you have any more questions.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!