Question about special needs 7yr old who can't read...will this work?
    greenfamily is offline Junior Member Newbie

Question Question about special needs 7yr old who can't read...will this work?

Hi! My oldest is almost 11 and I have decided to do time4learning for her. I believe it will be a great fit and can't wait to try it out. My middle child just turned 7 and has PPD-NOS (along with a mood disorder). I think she will love time4learning but I don't know if it will work for her. She can't read yet but she is working on it. Will she have to read the lessons or does it read it to her? She is working at a kindergarten level on most subjects. I am looking for short lessons for her. She is a visual learner and highly attracted to things like TV and video games so I know she will love T4L but my main concern is the reading. I prefer for her to be able to do most of the lesson by herself (I can help, but I prefer not to have to do all the lessons with her the whole time). Is that possible if she can't read?

Thank you!

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Welcome, green family! You can use a free text-to-speech reader for your daughter. T4L does have Peedy, but it is old software. Lower level lessons have more info read to them than the upper level lessons. Start her at the K level and see how she does. You can always move her up if and when needed. She will most likely need someone to guide her and help her, especially in the beginning. Seven is pretty young to be expected to work independently, and more so since she is working at a lower level. The flash animation will most likely hold her attention. Don't be surprised if you hear her laughing.

Try the demos and see how she likes it.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

Mandy in TN is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by greenfamily View Post
    My middle child just turned 7 and has PPD-NOS (along with a mood disorder). I think she will love time4learning but I don't know if it will work for her. She can't read yet but she is working on it. Will she have to read the lessons or does it read it to her? She is working at a kindergarten level on most subjects. I am looking for short lessons for her. She is a visual learner and highly attracted to things like TV and video games so I know she will love T4L but my main concern is the reading. I prefer for her to be able to do most of the lesson by herself (I can help, but I prefer not to have to do all the lessons with her the whole time). Is that possible if she can't read?
    I have not seen the Kindergarten level material, but I do know that kindergarten is only language arts and math.
    HTH-
    Mandy
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I have a nine year old reluctant reader. In kindy and first grade almost all of the lessons are read to them. Because of his sort attention span I still sat with him to help him focus on the lessons. Second grade still reads a lot of the work but not all of it. By third grade a lot more needs to be read. My son is now doing mostly fourth grade work. I still sit with him. And I read the work to him. He is working on second grade language arts extensions. That I have him do on his own. Everything else I read to him. I am looking in to a text to speech reader for him but so far haven't found a free one that will work on firefox. Peedy the Parrot is not really recommended any more. But there are text to speech readers available online. I also have downloaded several books for him on my kindle. It has text to speech on it. So he can listen to the words and follow along with them. I think he may be dyslexic. He reverses some letters which he should have outgrown by now. He also reverses some numbers. That is having an impact on his reading.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota