Questions

Thread: Questions

Gen
    Gen is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Questions

Hi. My hubby and I have decided to homeschool our son, who will be in Kindergarten this coming Fall (He'll be 5 by then) Anyway, we haven't made our final decision, but we are leaning towards doing T4L but adding some type of Christian devotions in as well.

So, my question is what happens if you want to do the schooling during regular school months and take off during the summer? Can you suspend your account during those months, or do you have to cancel and start back up?

Also, I just posed this question on Mama Mary's blog, but I would like to hear from others as well who supplement Christian stuff and would like to hear suggestions, etc, since we are new to homeschooling and aren't yet familiar with all the curriculums out there. Oh, we've read about them, but I'd like to hear from people who actually use them.

Thanks so much! Blessings, Gen

hearthstone_academy is online now Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Gen. Welcome!

You can request to make your Time4Learning account dormant during months when you aren't schooling. The cost to maintain your student's records is four dollars per month.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Gen
    Gen is offline Junior Member Newbie

That's fantastic! And definitely affordable. Thanks so much

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Gen. Welcome to Time4Learning. Please feel free to ask any questions you might have about the program. And while you're at it, come on over to the PA Parent Group pages.
    I have been homeschooling my son since he was 4 years old. We pulled him out of Pre-K at that time. We have used Time4Learning since Kindergarten. We are just finishing up second grade now. My son loves everything computer so this is a perfect fit for him. We supplement with classes at a local environmental center and a nature center. We also do classes that are offered by the homeschooling community, museums, and historic places.

We do not do religious education but I know there are lots of programs out there. Many people use the religious education departments of their local church for help in this area.

I look forward to seeing more of you here on Time4Learning.
    Last edited by fairylover; 06-29-2010 at 02:05 PM.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

welcome

the only supplementing we do is bible studies that i write for the kids myself. we have been working our way thru reading the entire bible. but if you were looking more towards actual "lessons" (which might be better because your son is so young), you can google sunday school lessons and download (for free!!) all kinds of really cool neat stuff.
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

lindsayseay is offline Junior Member Newbie

It looks as if your account question was answered, so as far as Christian devotions, etc...I will try to give you some ideas. Our daughter was in 3rd grade when we started homeschooling. We have used Guideposts as a great starting point. It was a great conversation starter in the morning. I have tried some of the "Christian" textbooks and have not been impressed. In my opinion, they were either way over her grade level or so severe in the teaching that it did not match our beliefs. We are now reading the bible (my daughter is 11 now) together front to back, but are doing in it kind of a story method. We are not trying to remember everything, but to get the timeline and basic historical facts down. We are using the curriculum that is free at www.padfield.com.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I read an interesting article yesterday about using unit studies for religious education. Now I can't find the article. But the basic idea was to break the Bible down into different units. Like do a unit on the life of Moses. Learn everything about him, his family, things he did, the Ten Commandments, and things like that. Then you may want to do a unit on the life of Jesus. Break things down in to fun units to keep your son's interests. I'm sure you could find coloring pages online for different units. Build a manger. Draw a rainbow. There are lots of things you can do to make each unit interesting.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Syele is offline Member

I searched for a long time and finally used a Zonderkids Study Bible... it has lots of study sections and "did you know" type of things that included activities for kids to try out. It's not technically a curriculum but it worked out quite nicely.