Questions from potential user
    mom2kaisnkam is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Questions from potential user

Hi I have homeschoooled my children since 2005. My dd is 4th grade and my son is 1st grade. My dd gets so board with her workbooks. We did ACE the first year and she just hated it. I really think she would enjoy this and it would teach her computer skills. But I have a few questions....

1. For those who have more than 1 child and only 1 computer, how do you schedule the day?

2. Is this what they would be learning in school....I usually use the requirements from world book. Does T4L adhere to those requirements?

3. Is it all computer work? I think I saw there are printables. Are the printables only for backup?

4. How much time does your child spend on the computer in 1 school session? My husband is concerned about them not writing. I have assured him I will still be doing things for them to write.

Thanks so much for your help, we are looking forward to your answers and hopefully joining T4L

have a great day
    nette, kaisee and kameron

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Nette.

Many Time4Learning families share one computer. Usually, one child uses the computer while another does penmanship, art, reading for pleasure, or other non-computer work. Then they switch.

Time4Learning's curriculum is aligned with state and national standards. Most of the curriculum is from CompassLearning/CompassU, which serves public schools. Time4Learning has obtained a license to offer the curriculum to individuals.

The printable resources are intended to be part of the curriculum. Because Time4Learning is a flexible program, some parents choose to use printables only in areas where their child needs extra practice and some don't use them at all.

Your child will do writing within the program. For instance, in parts of the science curriculum, the student keeps a science notebook. In addition, many families choose to add a penmanship program and daily journaling.

The amount of time a student will spend per day varies greatly. Each family will have its own goals for their particular students. Time4Learning does not require a certain amount of work to be completed daily. Home schooled students generally spend less time formally "doing school" than students in public or private schools, simply because there is no need to allow time during the school day for roll call and other activities specific to a group schooling situation.

I hope this has helped. Please feel free to ask more questions as necessary.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

mom2kaisnkam is offline Junior Member Newbie

thank so much Kelly

We will be signing up shortly. My children are so excited. I have read so many wonderful reviews online about T4L that I am actually excited myself. Partially because it will take a little work off of me....

nette, kaisee and kameron

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Questions from potential user

Quote Originally Posted by mom2kaisnkam
    Hi I have homeschoooled my children since 2005. My dd is 4th grade and my son is 1st grade. My dd gets so board with her workbooks. We did ACE the first year and she just hated it. I really think she would enjoy this and it would teach her computer skills. But I have a few questions....

1. For those who have more than 1 child and only 1 computer, how do you schedule the day?

2. Is this what they would be learning in school....I usually use the requirements from world book. Does T4L adhere to those requirements?

3. Is it all computer work? I think I saw there are printables. Are the printables only for backup?

4. How much time does your child spend on the computer in 1 school session? My husband is concerned about them not writing. I have assured him I will still be doing things for them to write.

1- I have 3 of my four sons using T4L'ing right now. While one works on T4L'ing my other boys do either chores or their other non T4L'ing subjects. (We use ACE for addition phonics, WinterPromise for science, ACE for hx) I am planning though to purchase 2 more laptops in February with our income tax refund.

2- I do not know what world book requirements are, but they definitely have a lot of depth to the work. This is a full curriculum. I've homeschooled for many years and I definitely think T4L'ing is meaty.

3- You can download and print resource pages that go with the lessons. So far we have not done that.

4- Each child takes about an hour and I have them doing extra lessons. Actually I don't have to HAVE them do extra lessons they WANT to do it. I definitely would recommend an extra handwriting program. You can use their downloadable sheets or order one seperate such as Handwriting without tears. We get ours in our ACE paces.

Welcome! I look forward to traveling this road with you
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/