Reading?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Reading?

JenniferJ is offline Member Regular

Default Reading?

Does t4l include a reading program?

Is there suggested reading(like books from the library?) Or does the curriculum just have them read from the screen during the program?

Sincerely,Jennifer
    Mother to 4, teacher to 5
    3 kids using T4L: DD7, DS11 and the neighbor's grandson age 12

T4L helps me homeschool while dealing w/ ADD, ADHD, SPD, dyslexia,dysgraphia, low comprehension,LD

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Which grade level are you asking about?

Phonics/reading is taught in the early grades and there are even printable kindergarten readers available when you log in as a parent.

In the upper grades, science and social studies include many suggestions for optional extra reading.

The language arts program includes book excerpts that can be read online. Some parents have expressed a desire to own the "whole book" and Time4Learning has found sources for most of them. This information is available by clicking the appropriate grade level under Time4Learning Levels at the bottom of this page. These books are NOT required. The necessary excerpt is available onscreen when you subscribe to Time4Learning.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

I am talking about what my current curriculum calls "readers" which are on my child's reading level and scheduled for me. And also what my current curriculum calls "read alouds" where I read to the children.

So there are excerpts for them to read that pertain to the lesson. Sounds good.

And what about reading material? Is the child just supposed to read on their own from the library? This year I bought a "reader package" for my children on their grade level. Just so you will understand why I am asking... they mostly read these books, and we do go to the library too.

I will also check out that link. Thank you, Jennifer

T4L helps me homeschool while dealing w/ ADD, ADHD, SPD, dyslexia,dysgraphia, low comprehension,LD

Quote Originally Posted by hearthstone_academy
    The language arts program includes book excerpts that can be read online. Some parents have expressed a desire to own the "whole book" and Time4Learning has found sources for most of them. This information is available by clicking the appropriate grade level under Time4Learning Levels at the bottom of this page. These books are NOT required. The necessary excerpt is available onscreen when you subscribe to Time4Learning.
    I think it would be neat to have the child read the whole book and then do the lesson on it or vice versa! What I am using now takes copy work and language arts examples from what they are reading.

That is neat. I like that.

Blog Entries

The book excerpts used in the language arts curriculum are the ILA lessons. That stands for "Integrated Language Arts" and is pretty much what you have described. Instead of focusing on one concept, many concepts are integrated within the context of a piece of literature. It's an effective teaching strategy, because the reading selection serves as a point of reference for the things the student is learning, aiding in retention.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Thanks! Boy this program sounds great!!

Blog Entries

Jennifer, so you aren't disappointed once you start, I wanted you to know that approximately the first third of the language arts program focuses on grammar. The ILA lessons and writing assignments start later in the school year. Those initial grammar lessons are VERY popular, though. I doubt anyone has ever had as much fun studying boring ol' grammar as our T4L kids. The grammar lessons are goofy, but the kids really LEARN.

adelenpaul is offline Member Regular

Jennifer,

We pick and choose in the T4L langauge arts. We recently finished T4L's Birchbark House book unit. I had dd read and listen to the audio cd of the book before she started the T4L lessons. As a side note, she LOVED the book and wanted a sequel. The lessons included for the book unit are there however it didn't appear to me to be all that much. It only has the student read a small portion of the text and the lessons are taken from that portion. If memory serves me correct, you're currently using Sonlight, right? We used Sonlight for four years. Just a heads up that Sonlight can spend a LONG time (weeks and weeks) on one book. T4L is perhaps two but that was with dd reading the full book so we stretched it out.

It's not bad. Just different from SL and I wanted to you to be aware so you weren't disappointed. For Birchbark House for example, there are 2 before reading activities, 1 during, 7 after and 2 language arts, along with several printable resource pages. They do have suggestions for taking it deeper and completing a final project so that would take a lot more time. It's certainly possible stretch it out longer. However if you're used to SL and all the grammar that is taken from the one book, it is not the case with the T4L units. I would suggest you take a close look at the lesson plans so you have realistic expectations.

And to reiterate, it's not a fault that T4L doesn't have more grammar tied to the books. Sometimes programs can overkill it in that department. Just read and enjoy the book! Plus T4L has so much grammar outside the book units so I'm not saying it's necessary. Just be aware that it is most likely different than what you're currently using. I know I was a bit surprised after our first book unit but now that I have my head wrapped around it, I'm looking forward to the rest. To refresh, we use a compilation of Total Language Plus, Progeny Press and T4L (along with an old spelling book) for our complete language arts program. Both of us enjoy the change of pace and the strengths of each program. Having said that, I'm thinking of going to T4L full-time specifically for our grammar. She enjoys it and I think we would be more consistent with it.

Okay, enough blathering on... Have a blessed week!
    Adele

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Adele,

Which subject did you do Birchbark house in? (also, what grade?) I haven't come upon that one yet. (excited smile)
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

adelenpaul is offline Member Regular

Birchbark House by Louise Eldrich was in the 5th grade language arts. They have five book studies in the fifth grade. We plan on doing, in addition to Birchbark House, The Giver and The Black Stallion. Some great titles!

Blessings, Adele

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast