Ready to start homeschooling! Advice please!
    cherryred90 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Ready to start homeschooling! Advice please!

So I'm officially done with public schooling. I was home schooled, myself, when I was in high school. Personally I loved it and I was pretty good at it seeing as how I've always been very independent.
    I've noticed that my 8 year old daughter is the same way. The only thing that I could possibly worry about is her social aspect. Other than that I wouldn't miss a dang thing with the public schools. They've lost my child sending her on a bus she doesn't even ride, they've left her on the bus at the bus garage by herself because they forgot to drop her off at her stop, they're always on me about her attendance because of how sick EVERYBODY was this winter. We just recently found out that my mom has cancer and only has 3-8 months so we want to spend as much time with her as possible, I have a high risk pregnancy because of all the stress I'm under, and multiple other major stressers. My question is, it's so late in the year would it be easier to just wait out the year in the school she's in and start home schooling next fall or should I pull her out now and start? And also is this curriculum accredited? Is the math common core? I have a neighbor that home schools but they don't use an online curriculum and are more relaxed than I would like to be. And I've already talk to my daughter about it and she wants to home school. She has a minor case of aspergers so she gets anxiety everyday going to school. She loves to learn, but she gets embarrassed if shes singled out at all. She wont even eat school lunch because she's too scared to go through the lunch line. I pack a lunch every day for her. She has other ways of being social so that's not too big of a worry.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, and welcome!

Time4Learning isn't a school. Time4Learning is a homeschool curriculum. A school can be accredited, but a curriculum can't. Accreditation just means that an institution meets the requirements of some group, somewhere. Requirements differ, and can include things like student-to-teacher ratio, size of classrooms, and other things that don't apply when homeschooling.

Time4Learning was around before common core and has changed nothing to align. It has always exceeded those standards. Time4Learning does use a variety of teaching methods, to reach all kinds of learners. Some of these may appear to resemble common core methods, while others will not. Parents are always free to skip any lessons.

We actually hosted a webinar awhile back about starting mid-year. It's available in recorded form on YouTube. Maybe it will help you decide when you should start. Beginning Homeschool Mid-Year

Again, welcome!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

MJ510 is offline Member

Default Re: Ready to start homeschooling! Advice please!

For anyone beginning to homeschool outside of the *normal* beginning of the school year -- this article offers some helpful tips:

4 Ways to Manage a Midyear Homeschool Transition

To the original poster: I am so sorry to see all you have been going through. I hope you were able to spend more time with your mom as you desired. Please know we would love to have you back to hear how things are going for you!

All the best,
    ~Missy