Repeating 8th grade
    Jcore is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Repeating 8th grade

I was thinking about having my son repeat the 8th grade by doing a home schooling program. He is currently in the 8th grade in a pubic school. He is young for his grade and should actually be in 7th grade. Is this possible? How can I go about this? What site should I use? Thank u

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi! Since you are posting on the parent forum for the Time4Learning curriculum, Time4Learning is the site I will recommend.

Since you are new to homeschooling, you might be interested in the free Welcome to Homeschooling Guide.

Each state has its own homeschool laws. You can find your state's current laws at your Department of Education website.

With Time4Learning, your student can work at a different grade level for each subject.

Schools vary in their willingness to accept homeschool work for credit. We do provide detailed reports, with time spent on each activity and a percentage score. Since there are no laws about what private or homeschool work a public school must accept, it often comes down to the opinion of the person you speak with at the school.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Momschooler is offline Junior Member Newbie

Just throwing this out there, but if you plan to homeschool, one of the best things that you can do for your son is to eliminate grade levels altogether. Kids work at different rates. I don't teach to a linear, public school oriented standard of grade level expectation. Fact is your child may struggle in one subject but surpass in many others. While he's in public school there is no way to know which is which, since he can be swept away by the current of Common Core.

While it's true that some learning requires a given foundation, it's really awesome when your kids can shed that stress of keeping up by 'grade'.

So if you choose to homeschool and keep grade level, keep him at 9th grade going foward: don't repeat. Statistically speaking, "holding back" a child is more detrimental than moving him forward with targeted remediation in areas that he is struggling. Kids actually tend to do worse after repeating a grade.

Some kids just don't work well in a public school setting but ROCK in a homeschool environment. I have two who have homeschooled four years. Within the first year they were reading college level material. I simply didn't tell them they couldn't.

Don't let homeschooling intimidate you. If it doesn't? AWESOME. If it does, just remember that public school is failing him. Why would you want to replicate a failing system at home? You have the tools to teach him (he knows how to speak English, doesn't he? He knows how to tie his shoes, right? YOU taught him these things... you're already a teacher) and maybe examine a method for him that will give him the time to immerse in the subjects you want him to study more fully. You posted in April so I'm not sure if you've made your decision but I just thought I'd throw a few thoughts your way.