So how has T4L worked for your special needs kids
    JenniferJ is offline Member Regular

Default So how has T4L worked for your special needs kids

I have having such a hard time meeting special needs, regular needs,etc.

When income tax $$ is here, I am 99% sure about switching to t4l.

How has it worked for ya, do you have to do alot of explaining still?

thanks in advance.
    Mother to 4, teacher to 5
    3 kids using T4L: DD7, DS11 and the neighbor's grandson age 12

T4L helps me homeschool while dealing w/ ADD, ADHD, SPD, dyslexia,dysgraphia, low comprehension,LD

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Jennifer. Don't miss this article.

Also, I think that this is an excellent thread. Time4Learning is much more successful at helping a student work independently than a "print" textbook could ever hope to be. A student still needs a teacher available, though.

After years of dealing with textbooks, I very much appreciate two things about Time4Learning: One is that the work is graded for me! That saves hours, especially if you have several children. The second is that my "teaching" is limited to occasionally interjecting some clarifying statement for my kids. I don't have to teach every concept "from scratch". The program does that for you. In fact, if a student answers incorrectly, the program will say something like, "Actually, that answer is incorrect because . . . Now, do you think you know the right answer, or would you like another hint?"

Just as a public-schooled student may occasionally need to stay after school so the teacher can clarify something taught to the class as a whole, Time4Learning students will need parents available to help when they get "stuck".

Also, check out the Special Needs forum.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Kelly, I will check those links right away.

Your explanation sounds so great!! I would love to clarify!! I would love to be able to have my 4 kids, plus the little boy I homeschool work on 5 different levels and I assist them and they become more independent learners!!

I am not looking to "get out of" having to teach, but I really need some help!

thanks again.Sincerely,Jennifer

T4L helps me homeschool while dealing w/ ADD, ADHD, SPD, dyslexia,dysgraphia, low comprehension,LD

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Jennifer,

Welcome! Oh my goodness, I could just as I type out how T4L'ing has helped my special needs child. He is 11 year old and was still reading 3 letter words. Not even reading..., decoding was more like it. We had tried everything.

We started T4L'ing at the beginning of July (though we've Homeschooled since 1998) and he just took OFF, like never before. Without me spending HOURS? I was available and there to answer questions but he truly took himself from the beginning of 1st to 3rd in just 6mos.

My other boys are doing well also. Those without LD's. I am adding My Father's World for Geography because of it's christian content and some ACE for my highschooler.
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

adelenpaul is offline Member Regular

We're using it with our 10yo dd who is 2E. It has been tremendous. I would caution you that there is a learning curve both for students and teacher. It takes a while for everyone to figure out the best way to use it, how to proceed, work independently. Like you, I don't want to say, "Here is school. See you in three hours." Initially I sat down with her and we talked through things. Then she used Peedy Parrot for most of her history. Now she reads it herself although I will have her go back through a lesson if she hasn't done well on the quiz. Either that or we read library books, watch a video on UnitedStreaming.com, do a webquest, etc. Something to provide her with more opportunities to see, do, hear, converse. It really isnt' difficult as there is so much out there.

We have free access to Unitedstreaming through our state education agency and LOVE it. I know at one point www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org was taking part in a group discount for the home version of UnitedStreaming. Cosmeo.com is pretty much the same thing but for home users. I don't know if either one has the same content available for home users as they do for schools.

Our library has tons of wonderful videos to check out on a wide variety of subjects. I also pick up educational computer software when I find it. Every little bit helps to keep variety and reinforce. But do take it easy on yourself and the kids. Don't overload them or yourself with trying to add too much. Just speaking from experience. Also be ready in case having all the material on the computer dosn't work for one of your students. Perhaps it means changing up your routine to break up their sessions. Or maybe it means you do one subject a little differently. Just a heads up that it might not all be rosy and smooth sailing immediately. Give everyone some grace and time to figure it out.

Blessings as you continue to research.
    Adele

Thanks so much Mary and Adele!