Social Bookmarking - those funny little icons
    JohnEdelson is offline Super Moderator

Default Social Bookmarking - those funny little icons

Forum users might have noticed about a few small icons with mysterious names like StumbleUpon, Technorati, & Del.icio.us have appeared on the forum. Here, as simply as possible, is what’s going on.

If you are a member of these "groups" (it's free and easy to join - just click on the icons), you can use them to "vote" on our site which will help others find us and help us grow. Once you join, you can look at the sites that others, who share common interests with you (such as Time4Learning or homeschooling or whatever), are recommending.

More info - These sites are a new type of bookmarking: "social bookmarking".

What are these social bookmarks? It used to be that when you “saved a favorite” or “bookmarked” a website, you saved it only on that computer.

But, as people increasingly use different computers, they wanted access to their list of favorite sites on any computer. So some services emerged that provided a way to save your favorites in a way that you could access from any computer.

Today, the latest generation of these services, allows you to not only save these bookmarks, but to share them with others and organize them by topic. For example, with del.icio.us, you can bookmark articles for yourself or others by topic and your save becomes a “vote” that an article is interesting. Others can then do searches by topic and find articles that users have “voted” as interesting. For a simple useful video on social bookmarking: http://www.commoncraft.com/bookmarking-plain-english . These services have become an alternative to the search engines for finding articles and websites.

We would appreciate your using these services to bookmark this forum or our main site or blog posts about Time4Learning (or even complete blogs such as Web Home School).

And if you have real experience or expertise in this area and can help us fine tune our efforts in this area, we would like to hear from you (info @ time4learning.com)

thanks,
    John Edelson, Founder
    It's Time 4 Learning. And Fun!

Time4Learning: Automated Online PreK-12th Curriculum for Math, Language Arts & More.
    Time4Writing provides eight week writing courses for students, 2nd-12th grade. Teachers included!
    Time4MathFacts: Automated Game-Based math facts practice, a foundation for future math success.
    Time4Languages: Ten of Rosetta-Stone's legendary language learning programs provided at reduced costs to T4L members

Lisa333 is offline Member Regular

1. Does using these services cost me anything?
    2. If I was only going to pick one, which one? I would be interested in it primarily as an alternative to google and yahoo to help find quality articles on topics of interest but it needs to be easy-to-use and free. (I've started using the wikipedia as my starting point for alot of research).
    3. I'm interested as a consumer AND because I would like to help Time4Learning survive and flourish AND because I'm thinking of my own web-based business and this sounds interesting.

Haroldlp is offline Member Newbie

Lisa,

They are all free to use, most do ask you to take a minute to set up an account before your first post.

The icons are lined up from left to right in order of their popularity on the net. Meaning that Del.icio.us is the top ranked one on the net and Fuzz the lowest.

Of course they will all say they are the best.

They are an excellent way to promote a business and generate links while providing a good alternative to the main search engines for doing research.

Lisa333 is offline Member Regular

I'm still struggling to understand some of this. Let's focus on Technorati. I've been told that Technorati:

a - it is one of the oldest and most important bookmarking services
    b - it is only for blogs
    c - it rates blogs (not individual articles)
    d - it primarily counts links from one blog to another as the source of "authority"
    e - it also counts "save as favorite" as an additional source of authority

Is this true?

Haroldlp is offline Member Newbie

All of that is primarily correct, they do take links from forums such as here. The whole concept of Social Bookmarking is still evolving so they consider a forum as another type of blog at this time.

If that changes down the line then we would have to remove the link as it would serve no purpose.