Spelling?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By PokeyBug
  • 1 Post By jpenn

Thread: Spelling?

PokeyBug is offline Junior Member

Default Spelling?

How does this program handle spelling? It almost sounds to me like Spelling is something they expect the kids to pick up as they do other work. Please tell me I'm wrong. I'd prefer a program that has spelling lists and periodic spelling tests. Anything like that with this program?
    Pashta likes this.

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Pokey Bug,

Lesson activity numbers for the spelling lessons can be found by logging in as a parent and accessing the lesson plans. Spelling lessons are located within the language arts extensions:

Fourth Grade - Chapter 2
    Fifth Grade - Chapter 6
    Sixth Grade - Chapter 9

Every third lesson, the student is given a quiz over the words in the preceding three lessons. The results of these quizzes can be found in your student's reports. The results of the tests taken within each spelling lesson are for the student's information only.

Many parents use the free Vocabulary Spelling City site to supplement their child's spelling study. The lists for Time4Learning lessons can be found here: Spelling Lists

Students can use these lists to play games with their spelling words. If you choose to have your student take a weekly spelling test at Vocabulary Spelling City, the results are printable, either in report or certificate form. If you choose a premium membership, the program will keep track of your student's activity and test scores online, and they will have access to vocabulary and premium games. Handwriting sheets are also available with the free membership.

I recently upgraded to the premium membership (very cheap) and it is well worth it.

Best wishes!
    pollyanna likes this.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

Mandy in TN is offline Senior Member

Within the spelling chapter there are 27 Lesson activities. Each lesson activity has its own 10 word spelling list. If your child covers 1 lesson each week, then there are 27 weeks worth of spelling lessons. Within each lesson there is a pre-test (day1), dictionary skills where it is suggested that the child look up each word and write the definition (day2), a fill-in the blank story that you can print out and have your child fill in (day3), sometimes a second worksheet to print out and/ or 1 or 2 online activities (day4), and a post test (day5). Your child could complete the whole lesson activity in one day, but it is a lot for one day and probably isn't as good for retention as spreading the lesson over a week.

HTH-
    Mandy
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

PokeyBug is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the replies. My daughters will be in 2nd and 3rd grade next year. Anyone know if there are spelling lists for those years? I guess I won't be a big deal if I have to supplement with spelling lessons. I'm currently paying about three times what this curriculum costs, and I have to supplement with that curriculum, too. My problem is that I am both a Spelling and Grammar Nazi, and I just can't deal with NOT teaching spelling!

Pashta is offline Junior Member

I totally understand! My first first grader is learning spelling and so is my 3rd grader. They should include this here. I will set them up on Spelling City, though, because at the public school they were using it so it can't be too bad.