Starting Early - Introduction - I am new
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    tekari is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Re: Introduction

I hope I am doing this in the right place. I just signed up and got an email asking me to introduce myself...Here goes.

As a starter, please login and introduce yourself. Tell us:

- Are using Time4Learning as afterschool enrichment or as homeschool curriculum? I have not started using T4L, but I am thinking about getting it for my 3 year old.
    - Do your children like learning on the computer? She doesn't know how yet - I am not sure how to introduce her to the computer or if she is too young. Do your children have special learning issues? noAre they gifted? I don't know.
    - Why have you started with Time4Learning? I haven't yet. What were your first reactions?
    - Which subjects or types of lessons do you find your children get the most out of?

My BIGGEST question is how old is old enough to start something like this. My daughter just turned 3 in January, but she already knows her shapes, colors, letter sounds, and can recognize her name and how it is spelled. I read to her a lot and she "reads" to me ( by memorizing stories and saying them back to me). I don't want to push her to learn since she is so young and it is play time for her, but she just seems so eager to learn more and I don't know how. Any advice would be appreciated.

As a side note, I have researched many programs, but I did order the Oak Meadow "Learning form the Heart" since it was more about how children learn and not so much a lesson plan. I haven't received it yet. Also, I really would like to focus on reading or literature things for my daughter as she loves it.

Thanks so much!! Kateri

drgnstrm is offline Senior Member

Hi Kateri welcome to T4L, I have only tried this for middle school. I taught preschool and used workbooks and online items for my child at that age. We also used jumpstart preschool to help them to get use to the computer with me there. I did notice that they had a preschool area and the great thing is that they make available the grade higher so if preschool items are to easy there is Kindergarten you can try. You can also change the grade level for some items in your parent login page.

I let my children tell me at what speed they wanted learn things at that age, so go at the speed you and she feel comfortable with.

Dayna
    Happy Homeschooling Dayna

Stephanie739 is offline Senior Member

Welcome Kateri!

My 3 year old wanted to do math and social studies too (like his sisters), so I signed him up for the preschool level just to see what he would do. IF I had the extra money, I would have kept it. He liked doing a lesson every once in awhile - a few a week, but with my financial situation, I couldn't justify (or really afford) the extra expense for such a small amount of actual lesson use. He does love the playground which he still accesses from this sisters' accounts. He still asks for school every once in awhile, so I bought some workbooks for him to use for now. I'll try him on T4L again next year.

He does play on the computer a lot, and has been playing on the computer since he was 1. All of my kids were allowed to learn the computer as soon as they as they became interested. There are so many great websites out there for the little ones, and CDs are also good to teach computer skills because they can't accidentally click on an ad, etc. Fun computer activities are all you need to teach computer skills to a little kid.
    ~Stephanie

mom to:
    Tori (13)
    Meghan (9)
    Andy (5)

Default Starting Early - Introduction - I am new

OOPS! I had originally posted this under a thread I thought was a generic introduction thread. Then I realized that I needed to post separately... Sorry!

I hope I am doing this in the right place. I just signed up and got an email asking me to introduce myself...Here goes.

As a starter, please login and introduce yourself. Tell us:

- Are using Time4Learning as afterschool enrichment or as homeschool curriculum? I have not started using T4L, but I am thinking about getting it for my 3 year old.
    - Do your children like learning on the computer? She doesn't know how yet - I am not sure how to introduce her to the computer or if she is too young. Do your children have special learning issues? no Are they gifted? I don't know.
    - Why have you started with Time4Learning? I haven't yet. What were your first reactions?
    - Which subjects or types of lessons do you find your children get the most out of?

My BIGGEST question is how old is old enough to start something like this. My daughter just turned 3 in January, but she already knows her shapes, colors, letter sounds, and can recognize her name and how it is spelled. I read to her a lot and she "reads" to me ( by memorizing stories and saying them back to me). I don't want to push her to learn since she is so young and it is play time for her, but she just seems so eager to learn more and I don't know how. Any advice would be appreciated.

As a side note, I have researched many programs, but I did order the Oak Meadow "Learning form the Heart" since it was more about how children learn and not so much a lesson plan. I haven't received it yet. Also, I really would like to focus on reading or literature things for my daughter as she loves it.

Thanks so much!! Kateri

PS Thank you Dayna for welcoming me to the community on the other thread where I posted. I did not know about the 1 grade up thing...Thank you!!

Default Re: Starting Early - Introduction - I am new

Welcome again Kateri.
    ~Stephanie

mom to:
    Tori (13)
    Meghan (9)
    Andy (5)

drgnstrm is offline Senior Member

your welcome . Maybe if you start her at Kindergarten you will get both 1st grade and preschool. It usually gives you access to the grade above and the grade below your choice to start from.
    Happy Homeschooling
    Dayna
    Happy Homeschooling Dayna

Quote Originally Posted by drgnstrm
    your welcome . Maybe if you start her at Kindergarten you will get both 1st grade and preschool. It usually gives you access to the grade above and the grade below your choice to start from.
    Happy Homeschooling
    Dayna
    True!! Our preschool trial only had access to preschool.....then again, if preschool is mastered quickly, you can always move up. Its very easy to adjust levels here.
    ~Stephanie

mom to:
    Tori (13)
    Meghan (9)
    Andy (5)

SahmIam is offline Senior Member

It sounds like your daughter is right in line with my son as far as academics go. I would not start T4L quite yet and haven't for my son. He's two and knows the basics as to how to operate the computer (as far as booting it up, starting a program he likes, such as paint, and exiting when he's done). But at this age they need to be learning hands on, out in their worlds.

There are so many things out there to utilize for children's learning these days that are more hands-on. If your daughter isn't using the computer yet and hasn't specifically asked to, I would shy away from it for now. There is plenty of time for that later. Go to your local school store and see what they have. You can get started with schooling for very little an when she's a little older and ready for T4L, it'll be here waiting.

Chances are very good that she will go through the early material quickly and in several areas (K -> 1st and 2nd -> 3rd come to mind) there are big jumps, both stylistically and material-wise. It woud be a shame if she came to one of those jumps when she just wasn't ready yet (being simply too young). My advice is to build your homeschooling materials and get her started on the basics of handwriting and reading. Then move on to computer-based learning when it's time.
    Melissa.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

At age three, your child needs a lot of what you are already providing: plenty of reading and imaginative play! It sounds like you're doing a great job!

When you are ready to introduce her to the computer, and even if you decide to sign up with Time4Learning, her computer lessons should take no more than half an hour per day (or maybe two, twenty-minute sessions per day).

You can try the demo lessons and see if she is interested. I think you are wise to not "push" at this age. If she often sees you enjoying the computer, she might be more interested in trying it herself.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Thank you so much for all of your input. I really appreciate it. It was a really scary decision for me to decide to homeschool I struggle with structure and perfectionism, and I am nervous about how to make this work day-to-day. I think I will keep hanging out here though for the great information. Also, I will let her try the demo and see what she thinks otherwise I will stick to hands on stuff for a little while. Thanks again, and I hope to know you all better as I get more immersed in all of this. With love and light, Kateri

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast