Starting to homeschool in the middle of the year
    sojourne is offline Junior Member

Default Starting to homeschool in the middle of the year

Anyone ever start homeschooling in the middle of the year?
    I have a pre-k, 1st grade, 3rd grade and 9th grade students. I am wondering how difficult it would be to start homeschooling them in the middle of the year?
    Here we have to apply to the school the board a letter of intent 2 weeks before we pull the kids from school. We also have to file a plan for the year that will outline the kids education.
    Any feedback is appreciated.

JohnEdelson is offline Super Moderator

I'd say that when you are ready to start homeschooling, is the right time to start. Also, your high schooler should be prepared. But it's more about you being ready than anything else. At some level, nobody is ever truly ready.

You seem to have two different groups. The younger ones just require some sort of plan of how to get started on homeschooling. The program will shift around as you learn what works for them and for your family. Have you read the Homeschooling Guide? Welcome to Homeschooling Guide by Time4Learning

It's a little different for a high schooler since high school is in some part, about what you are planning to do post high school. If you are on a college prep program, it's different than if you are on a vocational program. There's good advice on putting together a full high school homeschool program at Letshomeschoolhighschool.com

What do the rest of you think about starting at this time of year?
    John Edelson, Founder
    It's Time 4 Learning. And Fun!

Time4Learning: Automated Online PreK-12th Curriculum for Math, Language Arts & More.
    Time4Writing provides eight week writing courses for students, 2nd-12th grade. Teachers included!
    Time4MathFacts: Automated Game-Based math facts practice, a foundation for future math success.
    Time4Languages: Ten of Rosetta-Stone's legendary language learning programs provided at reduced costs to T4L members

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Sojourne! It's very common for people to begin homeschooling mid-year. We actually had a live webinar about this recently. You can find the recorded version here: Beginning Homeschooling Mid-Year .

Time4Learning makes it easy to file that plan. You can log in as a parent and print the lesson plans/scope and sequence for each subject at your student's grade level. That is usually sufficient. Let us know if the school district wants more documentation. Chances are, it's available, and we can help you find it.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

sojourne is offline Junior Member

Do you have to be a paid member to get the lesson plans? The paperwork I have from the state says you have to file 2 weeks before you plan to start homeschooling and before you can pull your kids from the school. That would put me just about at the beginning of next month. It just seems a waste of money to pay for a whole month when I know I won't be using the program till next month.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Sojourne, it's not a bad idea to sign up a little in advance, so you have time to view the videos and read the instructional material within your parent login. You might want to spend some time setting up a schedule for your student, printing a few worksheets in advance, and that sort of thing.

Here are the lesson plans.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!