Starting homeschooling in January
    Annoulla is offline Junior Member

Default Starting homeschooling in January

I signed up for the 2 week trial with the intention to homeschool my almost 5 year old. (I have only 4 months with him at home as my mat leave is up at the end of April) I am not sure even where to begin. I can't possibly cover all of the activities before the end of the year without burning him out. So, my main question would be, just about how many activities should I aim for in LA and Math per week. This is to prepare him for a Senior Kindergarten class (private school) he is to start in September.

Thanking you in advance,
    Ana

Stephanie739 is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Starting homeschooling in January

Hi Ana. Welcome!

In my opinion, you should let him go at his pace since he is so young. In order to prepare him for the structure of the private school, a time-for-school part of your day would be useful, but I think you should keep it simple and fun. Keep the emphasis on the joy of learning, rather than the number of lessons correctly completed. Just my two cents!
    ~Stephanie

mom to:
    Tori (13)
    Meghan (9)
    Andy (5)

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Ana,

Welcome! It's so nice to meet you. (Big Warm Smile) I agree with Stephanie;-) I would just set aside time each day for him to work diligently on his lessons. I don't think it would be a realistic goal to have him complete an entire program. Though I understand your Mama heart wanting to prepare him. I think you will be wonderfully surprised at how much academic gain your sweet son will make by simply working on his lessons for a set period of time each day without ever completing a full program. You can also have him continue with Time4Learning after he starts school to give him a leg up.

Have a GREAT New Year!
    Mary
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Annoulla is offline Junior Member

Thank you for your replies. I really needed some reassurance and support.

I am somewhat relieved that my son seems to enjoy the activities, especially the ones pertaining to science.

However, I am trying to focus on LA and Math as those are the areas he should learn first in order to move on. Although he doesn't find the lesons there as much 'fun', he does seem to agree that all exercises once started have to be completed before moving on. I don't think it's a good idea to allow skipping even though the first few may be too easy and boring for him. Am I right on this?

Thanks,

Ana

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

i don't know much about those specific lessons in that grade level, as my kids started after that. but, i can say that generally speaking, it would be easier to skip around for la than for math. math tends to build in a more linear way then la does. my suggestion is to do a little every day. even after you go back to work, you can still do a lesson (or two - depending on time) a night. and as mary said, you can continue the program even after he's in school. there are lots of parents who use this program as supplemental to assist ... more as tutoring or just extra practice. more immediate tho, i suggest using the science as more of a reward ... once he finishes a math and an la then he can do science. don't forget to leave plenty of room in your day for reading! good luck, and let us know how it goes!
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

Jamie Gaddy is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi there - I have 5 year old - and I am pretty much letting her go at her own pace -They really enjoy the T4L lessons and somedays she begs to do more - she doesn't think of them as school... but as fun! she technically would not have made it in the public school kindergarten due to the fact that her birthday is Sept 10 - past the Georgia cut off date! So I am not pushing her this year!
    Jamie
    Homeschooling mom to 6 dear blessings!
    http://onlineeducationforkids.com

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Ana. Welcome!

At this level, the lessons in math and language arts tend to build on each other. My own choice would be to use them in sequence, although you are "allowed" to do it any way you choose. Young children, even when they seem to know something, benefit from a lot of review.

A kindergartner probably should limit computer time to an hour or so a day.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!