Starting mid-year?
    delldenise is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Starting mid-year?

I thought I posted this already, but I couldn't find my post, so here it is again...

I'm a homeschooler and thinking about joining. I have a 2nd grader who is advanced in areas and I'm not sure where to start the program since we are mid-year. I don't want to waste time repeating lessons or doing lessons that are too easy for her. Any advice? THanks!

Stephanie739 is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Starting mid-year?

Time4Learning is such a great program, especially when the children begin at a young age.

The 2nd level Science and Social Studies units are quick and easy, but fun. She will be able to finish all of those before the "school year" is up. The 3rd levels are more text based.

The 2nd levels of Language Arts, LA Extensions, and Math are more involved. I would let her "test out" of math units. Start at the beginning of the 2nd level and just take quizzes and tests (follow arrows) until you find her place. Of course, the animated math lessons are fun. Just taking tests (to find her level) may become dull to her, so adding in some lessons might be a good mix. LA Extensions have great study units. I would let her choose units based on interest to finish out the year.

This is just how I would do things. It won't take long for you and your child to find the best way to use the program. I do recommend sitting with her during lessons in the beginning as this will help you learn how to get the most out of the program.

Good luck and welcome!
    ~Stephanie

mom to:
    Tori (13)
    Meghan (9)
    Andy (5)

delldenise is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thank you so much for the guidance....I think that I'll do just that! She is LOVING it so far!!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

At this age, review isn't usually a waste of time. When she finishes the first grade science lessons, you might want to let her do the first grade ones before moving her on to third grade science (which is text-based, and not nearly as fun as the animated first and second grade lessons).

I usually have my kids do the first and second grade science and social studies lessons at the beginning AND the end of their first and second grade school years.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!