stressed out whether or not to try to homeschool my 6yr old any suggestions
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    teetia2 is offline Junior Member

Default stressed out whether or not to try to homeschool my 6yr old any suggestions

hi,
    ive really been debating on starting my 6yr old son on this program or not,, ive read through the post and i looked into alot of online schooling which is very expensive till i came across this program.. ive got family members who are totally against it and put a guilt trip on me over discussing it and it causes arguements but my husband an i are considering. i am a stay home mom to three children my oldest just graduated off a online virtual high school that the state only does for high school and does not offer it for elementary students.. im just confused if im making the right choice by trying this out.. alot of people have gave me doubt.. i mean i know i can do this for i have had a bad experience with my oldest through out her public school yrs till her 11th grade and she graduated this yr from a online public school.. i just feel its more easier for me and i will no longer have to deal with the school system if i decide to go out of town for a week or two then they are on my tail and court... my question is.. Is this a good program to homeschool your child? What all will I have to do to get him started and what materials will i be responsible for.. Please help .. school here starts next week and im really stressing over my decision..

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

teetia - allow me go guide you in the ways of the stressed-out homeschool mommy: go grab yourself a nice hot cup of coffee, put your feet up, and get ready to laugh with us

the most important advice that anyone has ever given me is simply this: in the long run, you can't let what "everyone else" thinks ... after all, "everyone else" isn't responsible for your children - you are. they can talk all they want, you can hang up the phone, delete the email, walk away. all you have to tell them is that you are making the best decision for YOUR children and leave it at that. even if it is family or close friends. again, "everyone else" doesn't have to raise your kids. "everyone else" can just deal with it. i think the most important thing that you said is that you and your husband are in agreement in considering homeschool as an option ... the fact that both of you are on the same page means that not only are the problems in your district at a level where you are both alarmed.... BUT (are you ready? this is big) you ALREADY have a built-in teammate!! "everyone else" doesn't even count as long as you and your husband are on the same page.

as far as this program specifically ... we are starting our third year and i've never been more pleased. not only is it so much more affordable, but it is SO easy and SO complete!! not sure how old your son is, but to get him started you shouldn't need anything more than just your computer. now, in our family, we've added some to our t4l (mostly writing and bible studies), but i have a smarty pants who gets bored easily, so i've learned to throw him curveballs from other materials every once in awhile, and that works for us.

school should not be a stressful experience. i can hear your pain and frustration. it does not have to be like this - i assure you. please let us know how we can help you. ask all the questions you want, chances are we've asked them ourselves
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

Yca
    Blog Entries

p.s. i'm a doofball ... it clearly says that your son is 6 lol.

my daughter did 1st grade thru t4l and she LOVED it!!! i sat with her in the beginning, but she got used to doing the program herself. we had her doing one journal entry a day to work on her writing (she would also illustrate it because she's very artistic) and then we would do a LOT of family reading.
    ~ Yca ~

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3

adria2328 is offline Senior Member

First off WELCOME!!!

I am using T4L for my DS6 this year for 1st grade. We used if for K last year and he learned ( a lot of stuff)!!!! I am homeschooling him since pulling *my DD12 from 5th grade PS in 11/08. I figured if it wasn't good enough for her I couldn't' send him either. People were skeptic, but my hubby supported me. That's all I needed. I think the BEST thing about T4L is the ease. Yes you will get confused and ask questions ( I always do!!!) but you will figure out the way to use it that best fits you! I find sometimes there isn't enough practice before a quiz. So in that case I print free worksheets from other sites, or have them do the teaching lessons again until they get it. I would sit with your child for a bit until they get the hang of it. Younger kids need the reassurance IMO of the parent being near. As they grow I think they become more independent and able to ask for help when needed.My DD12 still needs me nearby. She isn't quite out of the PS thinking yet, plus she has some other needs that call for me to be close and reassuring she can do it on her own. Anyhow I am nervous all the time about if I am doing the right thing...when I get that way I come here to the forums. Jess, Mary, Shell, Kelly and a bunch of others remind me to CALM DOWN and just enjoy it. As Mary says "We are better together" So on your journey remember to come here when you need to. Oh and one more thing.........................wonderful parents love their kids enough to think out of the box. That's all you are doing. Great job for not letting your child get lost in the mix. Take your time, be consistent and you won't regret it. ............(Oh my I think I just gave my first big piece of advice!!! )
    Adria
    Mommy of 4
    Bryanna 13
    Ralphy 7
    Coleman 5
    GraceAnn 3

teetia2 is offline Junior Member

Thand you all so very much, im glad to see some support on here.. Im gonna try this out and see how it goes, Im so happy to know if i need a helping hand you all are on here cause i know im gonna be confused at first till i myself get a hang of it.. lol Im still trying to figure out how to get to the forums and what i posted but im getting there.. Like I said I have I have 2 boys and 1 daughter. My daughter is 18 and my two sons are 6 and 4. The 6yr old just turned 6 June 2nd. So I hope im not late on starting him.. He wasnt actually ready last yr besides i was in the middle of buying a home and living between parents and it would have been difficult for him not having stability at that time.. But I feel he is ready now... So Im gonna research more through out this program and if i have anymore questions believe me ill be back on here... by the way.. My name is Tara. my son is Caden... and my 4yr old is Tavian and my oldest is Chelsea... Thanks again for all your support i sure needed it and im gonna continue needing it cause i know my mother and mother inlaw will not be to happy with me doing this or my oldest daughter.. she feels he needs to go for socialization and the same with the mother and mother inlaw and for his basics... but im sure i can do this..

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I just wanted to second or third what the others have said. You are responsible for your children. "They" have no choice in how you raise them. They are your children. There is a wonderful person on Mothering.com who always says, "please pass the bean dip". Mother says, "You aren't still thinking about keeping him home are you?" You say, "We have made the best choice for our child. Would you pleas pass the bean dip." That lets them know that you are not going to discuss it with them.

We are now in our fourth year with Time4Learning. We started with kindergarten and are now in third grade. I have to sit with my son because he has absolutely no attention span. So I have to keep reminding him that it is time for school work and not for playing with all the things on the desk or running to look out the window or chasing the cat or whatever else. I love how easy it is. If he has trouble with a lesson we do it again and we print out the worksheets that go with the lesson. This year we are adding All About Spelling and Handwriting Without Tears. Doing everything on the computer doesn't give much handwriting practice. We probably should have added this before now. But I don't think he was ready to sit down and write much before now.

You didn't say which state you are in. Let us know and we will send you the links for the T4L Parent Support Group for your state. We can also send you a link which will briefly go over the laws for your state as far as reporting or whatever you need to do. But since you already have a homeschool graduate, you probably already know that.

Welcome to the T4L community. We're here to support you any way we can.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

adria2328 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by teetia2 View Post
    mother and mother inlaw will not be to happy with me doing this or my oldest daughter.. she feels he needs to go for socialization and the same with the mother and mother inlaw and for his basics... but im sure i can do this..
    I LOVE when people bring up socialization. I am delighted my children do not socialize with the majority of kids in PS. Does your family know what goes on there these days???!! I do not dog people that have no choice but to use the PS system, don't get me wrong, but since we homeschool I can regulate more what/who my kids are exposed to. We have class sizes here of around 30 kids and there is so much bullying and well I could go on and on..............I won't bore you. Oh and one more thing....last time I was in school I kept getting in trouble for socializing!!!! LOL
    Adria
    Mommy of 4
    Bryanna 13
    Ralphy 7
    Coleman 5
    GraceAnn 3

Yca
    Blog Entries

i am so glad that you have made the leap, tara!! i think you're going to do very well. i'll be honest wtih you, its not an easy road. but you are NOT alone - you will find an entire group of people to surround you. not just here, but you'll find people in your community and other places too.

and, for the record ... i completely agree with adria. since i've pulled my kids out of public school, their social "graces" are IMPROVING because they're getting a huge influx of positive influences, and the negative ones are discussed.

you're gonna be just fine, girl!!!
    ~ Yca ~

Strouse House is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Tara,

Welcome to time4learning.com, I am so glad the other ladies have been able to help you and I agree w/ all of what they have said. I just want to say that remember you have been homechooling your children since birth, you taught them how to sit, stand, walk and run. You know when they don't feel good you know when they are hiding something from you. You KNOW your kids!!!! We have used time4learning on and off for a few years now. I will be adding my daughter sometime next year on the preschool level. I know that it is hard to have nah sayers out there. I have my share - my parents, in laws, even had a pastor tell me I needed to send my son to school. But my hubby supports our homeschooling and that is the only thing that matters.

I would first go to your State Group and join! You will find those tabs at the top of this page. Once you join ask your state moderator to direct you to the homeschool laws for your state. Time4Learning.com is good for any state, but there might be additional things you have to do for your state. I know in the state of Florida we have to keep a portfolio of work, which is reports (printouts from t4ling) reading log, and a few other things.

I hope that help you. Glad to have you join us here at Time4Learning.com
    Brandy - Christian (86), Wife (93), and Mother (boy 99, girl 07,boy 08). Homeschooling since 2003. Come check out our adventures in life and Time4Learning.com at Five in Training For Him.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

There are days when I wish we were a bit less socialized. We go way to much. We are trying to take it easy this summer with only two days per week committed to going some place and staying home the rest of the time. Kids really don't get to socialize much in school. Now that recess has been done away with in most schools and with ten minute lunch periods, most socialization takes place outside of school. We socialize at the movies, at the Art Museum, at the park, at homeschool soccer, some many places.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast