And suddenly... I'm a homeschooler!
    robotti is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default And suddenly... I'm a homeschooler!

I can NOT believe I did this. Two days ago I withdrew my daughter from public school. She hadn't been to a full day in a month - stomach pains, crippling anxiety, tears... it was awful. When the nurse told her that her stomach didn't really hurt and she couldnt' call me, I had had enough.

But... I don't know anything about homeschooling! Yikes! What have I done?

So far, until I can get the T4L program (on payday) she's been finishing off projects that she was doing in school. But she doesn't want to do the elements project, she wants to do something on DNA. HUH?!!

I think I'm just feeling overwhelmed and a little bit scared by the enormity of what I did. I hired a tutor to do special projects that follow the lesson plan (I work full time) a couple of hours a week, and I'll be assigning independent projects and stuff.

I guess I'm in a vast minority, a WOH homeschool Mom, huh?

HELP!

Stephanie739 is offline Senior Member

Welcome

Getting through the sick day issues are rough - another big reason home schooling is so wonderful. You will be fine. I am so new to homeschooling, but it has turned into such a great experience. We love Time4Learning.

How old is your daughter?
    ~Stephanie

mom to:
    Tori (13)
    Meghan (9)
    Andy (5)

witchly is offline Senior Member Guru

Welcome to T4L!

What is a WOH?
    Robyn
    Secular homeschooler of 1 son (14)
    http://feeds.feedburner.com/RobynsOnlineWorld.1.gif

robotti is offline Junior Member Newbie

WOH is Working Outside the Home. I just meant that it seems like a lot of people here are stay-at-home Moms or have home businesses. I wish I could do that. I don't want my daughter's education to suffer because of my career.

cassiedavis@opbincome.com is offline Member Newbie

Welcome to T4L .

I am sure that you will find a way for everything to balance out.

Good Luck !

witchly is offline Senior Member Guru

Just never heard WOH before. I'm a WAHM actually. There are several parents here on T4L that do work outside the home though - you should be able to find some threads on the topic here on the boards.

Quote Originally Posted by robotti
    WOH is Working Outside the Home. I just meant that it seems like a lot of people here are stay-at-home Moms or have home businesses. I wish I could do that. I don't want my daughter's education to suffer because of my career.
    Robyn
    Secular homeschooler of 1 son (14)
    http://feeds.feedburner.com/RobynsOnlineWorld.1.gif

ambertopaz75 is offline Senior Member

I work outside the home too. At first I felt the same way, thinking my sons education would suffer because i work. I got to realize that there is still so much i can do even though I work outside the home. I have learned that what works best , for us, is not having set times to do school and to try and keep our schedule on my days off the same or close to the same as the days I work. I work early so I am off before lunch so we don't do school work until after lunch on the days I work and we pretty much keep to that schedule on my days off. I try to have my son do more "easy" work while I am at work if at all possible. He is at my moms one day a week and he can use her computer to do spelling and math if they are home . I try to have him do his reading when he is at my brothers and journal work. He is also writing some songs so its a good time for that too. Usually he will only do work at someone elses house if we have plans for when I get off work. Karate, library or field trip. I only work four days a week and my other two days my husband is off. Anything he may need my help with science or social studies I save for when I am home and undistracted with other things.

We have been homeschooling for a year now and I have to tell you T4L saved my sanity. The time I used to spend correcting papers and coming up with lesson plans I get to spend with my son doing fun stuff. I supplement with some workbook work but not a lot. I like having that time back for my family. OH and cleaning too I guess
    Amber
    13y/o son with PDD-NOS

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum!

Until you are able to sign up, take time to read the Getting Started Guide and all of the Hints. Since you are new to homeschooling, you might also find Time4Learning's Welcome to Homeschooling Guide helpful.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

mommatomyblessings is offline Member Regular

We have been homeschooling for about a month now after I pulled my oldest out of middle school. I was overwhelmed at first and thought there is no way I will be able to do this. I have finally gotten comfortable with it and we are loving it. I can't brag enough about this site.
    Amanda & Travis

Parents to our 4 kids
    Lauren (Brooke) - 12
    Zachery - 10
    Sarah - 6
    Jackson - 2