Suggestions on Schooling for ESL
    LoriK is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Suggestions on Schooling for ESL

We currently have custody of a boy that is 11 but is just learning English and was behind in his country previous to now. He is starting at the pre-school level with workbooks. We do not know if we want to enroll him in school until he is permanently in the country through adoption process. We want to get him up to speed as quickly as possible to his grade level.
    Agenda for him and how much time a day on the learning tools would be my question?

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

If he is starting at the pre-k level you wouldn't spend more than about an hour a day online. There are idea theme books included with pre-k. They have hands-on activities you can incorporate as well. I am thinking that the pre-k level will be too low even though he is behind. The good thing is you can begin at pre-k and move up as you need. You might also want to try our sister sites-- Vocabulary & Spelling City and Vocabulary Fun. Both are free sites. The second site is used by lots of ESL folks.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Welcome!! Jackie gave you some great suggestions, but I want to emphasize play and a stress-free environment. I get stuck with my own kids, wanting to push them harder and want them to be where **I** think they should be - forgetting that sometimes they need to take their own time. Please know that I'm not assuming that you're pushing him too hard already, but sometimes stating the obvious is encouraging. Good luck - please let us know how we can help you.
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I must agree with Jess, having fun and de-stressing are oh, so important. He probably already feels frustrated because he realizes he is a bit behind. I know my DD sometimes feels inadequate because of her learning challenges, so I have to be careful not to push her too hard or work her too long. Besides, so much can be accomplished by playing and having fun! That's one of the beauties of homeschooling...being able to work "school" in by doing fun, creative things.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

This goes hand in hand with what the other ladies said. Eleven year olds know where they should be, even if they are behind, and even if they know little English. And they are old enough to know that they are too old for preK work. I know I tried to get my poor spelling 11 year old to go back and take the 1st grade phonics things again and she was mortified that I thought that was work she needed, she thought I was treating her like a baby.
    Of course, you want him up to speed asap, and if he finds the work entertaining, that might help, and I know the early grade of T4L are very entertaining. The one other place I would add to what Jackie posted is Learning Games for kids. It is another in the T4L family of sites, is free, and there are games there for lots of different subjects. Anyway, I hope that everything goes well, let us know!!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!