T4L and a child with Visual processing difficulties
    4boysandagirlmom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default T4L and a child with Visual processing difficulties

I am debating about what to do with my 3rd grade son. Here is some back ground. My son has been diagnosed with a visual processing disorder. This causes reading and writing to be very, very, difficult and time consuming. He has always attended a brick and mortar school and always been a very positive, happy, and confident child who was eager to please his teacher and very responsible for his age. Until this year he did fine in school with little help, everything just took him longer.

This year was different story- private school, very difficult, abrasive teacher, whose "gifting" was in teaching gifted children, used fear and shame (reading grades and wrong answers out in class etc) to "motivate" the students. ...yes I can actually hear the collective air in the cyber room being sucked out as you all gasp in horror!

Needless to say, this was not a healthy learning enviroment for any child, much less a child with difficulties learning. After two weeks of this my son was experiencing migraines, stomach aches, and was convinced he would need to repeat the grade. We tried to work things out with the school but we were told that our concerns were petty. Soooo I quit my job and we are presently enrolled in an online school. He is doing fine but there is not much room for flexibility and creativity.

My homeschooling experience has included mostly unit studies based on literature ie. 5 in a row, and Sonlight. In the past I was not forced to "teach" for 6hrs each day and put in that attendance daily. As it is now with this current program through the PS, I work from 9-5 just to check off the different activies that are assigned. He hardly does anything on the computer and it isn't much fun. I chose this route because I thought that it would give me a bit more of a structure...now I see that it is too much.

Would T4L allow for doing literature based unit studies, and projects, as well as work on line. And would that work with my son's difficulties? I am looking for a way to bring healing and make learning fun again.

Thanks for you patience with the long post.
    Momto4boysandagirl

denimay is offline Senior Member

Default Re: T4L and a child with Visual processing difficulties

The best thing about homeschooling is that you and your child can go at your child's own pace. T4L will cover the basics...all lessons can be repeated as many times as needed...the interactive programing is fun and your child will learn....which is the most important part.

You can add some handwriting practice, private reading time, spelling ( spellingcity.com) and anything else your son has an interest in.....he likes animals? go to the zoo, a farm, an animal control center; dinosaurs? a natural history museum, space?? lots of stuff on space online...are you near a space museum? go! not near?? maybe a vacation/fieldtrip.

Look for a co-op in your area and participate in activities that interest your son.

You will be fine....ditch the "online school" (my personal bias) as it is not really "homeschooling" It's just 'school at home' with you as the teacher.

Make the world your classroom and living as part of your 'curriculum' and I think both you and your son will be much happier and find that learning is fun and interesting again.

No child should have to go to SCHOOL from 9 to 5.......that just sounds ........... painful.....you'll figure out what works best for you and yours....nobody's perfect all of the time and you won't get voted off the island for making mistakes or trying things that don't work and then discarding them. life is the ultimate adventure ... learning things is a big part of that adventure. You are not alone. deni.....
    deni may ............
    artist and teacher

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

http://www.currclick.com/?affiliate_id=15313

Stephanie739 is offline Senior Member

Welcome! Try Time4Learning. I think you and your son will be very pleased. It is an awesome program.

I do recommend sitting with your son during lessons (especially in the beginning) so you will also get a feel for the program.
    ~Stephanie

mom to:
    Tori (13)
    Meghan (9)
    Andy (5)

4boysandagirlmom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thank you for your time and advice. There is no doubt that we need to make a change, it's just what to change to. I am teaching two now(2nd and 3rd) using the online charter school and my 5 yo is getting leftover time, which is pretty much nothing. So, whatever we do it will have to work for a small crowd. My hubby and I will be talking and working through the issues over the next 2 weeks. I may just have to join for the break so that we can get a feel for T4L. Thank you again friends.
    4boysandagirlsmom

Opaluna is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi... I know this is an older post, but I have a son w/ visual processing issues. I hope your son is feeling okay... I know sometimes it takes a while after a traumatic environment. I just wanted to mention a few things to you in case you are still looking around:

"Handwriting without Tears"... is a great program for printing & cursive - it changed my son's writing and his attitude about it.

We only do Language Arts with Time4Learning... and I'm thinking of the reading portions and know that many of them have options to "listen" to the passage as the students reads it and this might be really helpful.

I have also signed my son up for Monart 'art' classes (I'd google it or call some local art studios)- which are designed to give kids specific skills and strategies for drawing & painting.This has been amazing for him. Not only is it strengthening a weakness, but he produces amazing things and it really boosts his self-esteem.

Good luck and hang in there Mom!

denimay is offline Senior Member

Mona Brookes wrote a great book called "Drawing With Children" ....you can probably find it at the library. You can use it to teach yourSelf and your child how to draw. I have given away a ga-zillion copies of this book...to parents and other teachers....it is the BEST!!! I was fortunate enough to take several workshops with Mona and her teacher training class as well....but this was a couple of years after I found her book which changed my life and the lives of ALL of my students as well. Try it....You CAN draw!!! All you need is a couple of sharpies, a ream of copy paper, some colored markers and file folder to put under your paper (so the markers won't bleed thru to your table top...........I've been using this method with ALL of my students for almost 20years......with fabulous results.........okay, I'm going to go draw something now....deni..
    deni may ............
    artist and teacher

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

http://www.currclick.com/?affiliate_id=15313