T4L as core curriculum?
    katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default T4L as core curriculum?

Hello everyone and thank you so much in advance for reading this. I apologize ahead of time for asking what I'm sure will be duplicate questions.

I homeschool my 7 yr old son. I also have a 2 yr old son that will be homeschooled. I don't know how I hadn't found T4L before now, but I hadn't. We've been using a complete boxed 2nd grade curriculum and to be honest, my son and I both dread school time most days. I'm very excited to learn about T4L but I would like to get some feedback from parents who use it. How many parents use T4L as their core curriculum for their homeschool program? Also, if being used as a core curriculum, do you supplement and with what? I know that's a really general question, but since we have only ever used these boxed curriculums, I don't really know how to begin changing our homeschool routine.

Thanks again for those who read this and I would REALLY appreciate any thoughts and experiences that come my way!
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

I have home schooled my children for the past nine years, using a variety of curricula. This year, we have been using T4L as the core curriculum for five of the kids.

I am supplementing science and social studies in the lower grades with Brainpop and Brainpop Jr. We also read lots and lots of books . . . about spiders and frogs and rocks and trees, as well as children's biographies.

In addition, I have them each write SOMETHING every day. They may write a story, a poem, a journal entry, a letter, or whatever they choose. They are to concentrate on being creative, and not pay too much attention to spelling, punctuation, or grammar. On Friday, they choose their favorite piece of writing for the week and re-write it, correcting any spelling, punctuation, or grammar errors. They do this in their neatest handwriting, so it covers penmanship practice, too!

This is the most relaxed homeschool year we've had so far!

I'm looking forward to reading what others are doing.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Blog Entries

Thanks Kelly for your reply! I knew I would probably supplement science...my son is BIG science freak. But I am so unfamiliar with the different programs out there. The writing idea is great! Thanks again for taking the time to respond!

Katie
    Katie

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Once he reaches third grade, I think you will find science and social studies at Time4Learning to be a complete program, including some enjoyable experiments and hands-on activities.

Before third grade, science and social studies lessons are interactive Flash movies. The child watches an animated cartoon that teaches a concept and then is prompted to click on various items to demonstrate understanding.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Taylor is offline Junior Member Newbie

For a 7 year old, I would think about adding (in the language arts area):
    - a handwriting program
    - a reading program. At 7, he is probably not yet fully in chapter books but he might alternating between pictures books and short chapter books. I would advise making a weekly trip to the library a regular part of the program. Also, making this into a social activity in which a few kids discuss a book seems to be broadly popular.
    - some journaling
    - a spelling weekly test (although Time4Learning already has good materials for this)

Blog Entries

Thanks Taylor, for your reply.

We do in fact have a handwriting program. As for reading...my son is an avid reader so he is progressing well in that area. Actually...he reads many more words than he can define. We go to the library every Wednesday, for my toddler's "kidzersize" program.

As for the journaling...he is working on that. He talks all time, yet can't seem to think of anything to write. We are going to keep with it though, in hopes that he will progress with that, as he is progressing with the other subjects.

For spelling, we found (through T4L's forums) www.spellingtime.com. That has turned out to be a great thing. While T4L covers spelling throughout L.A., I like being able to give my son weekly lessons with words that I put in, words that he needs to work on.

Thanks for the good advice. I have since been using the program for a couple of months now, and have found my worries and concerns in regards to supplementing were unfounded. T4L is proving to be everything that we looked for in a curriculum.
    Katie

birdwomen is offline Junior Member

Default Re: T4L as core curriculum?

hello bail, i have a daughter that is in the 8th grade this year and is in time4learning, and we must have a curriculum immedietly for the school board we are actually late on turning it in, i was confused on what they where saying when they asked for the curriculum so now i understand and need it fast. could you please help me on this matter it would be greatly appreciatiated if you could. thanks Charlynn we live in Va.