Talk to me about the little ones, oh ye venerable sages.
    SahmIam is offline Senior Member

Default Talk to me about the little ones, oh ye venerable sages.

I have been holding out on my newly-turned three-year-old. Because of his birthday, he will supposedly start kindergarten when he's 5 1/2. Academically, I think he's pretty much ready for preK now. Some things he has picked up on are colors (at least ten), counting (into the twenties), alphabet/ sounds (at the simplest level; I don't think he recognizes blends yet), and some sight reading. He has known how to spell and write his first name for a while, but a few days ago I told him how to spell his middle and last names, not thinking much of it and he has memorized them.

I ask about T4L because he loves the computer. He will go into the office, turn on the computer, log on, and go to whatever game he wants to play. When he's done, he logs off and shuts the computer down. [No, I definitely did not teach him how to do that. I think he figured out how to do it by watching other members of the family.] He has great control of the mouse and the touchpad and understands the basics of operating programs, such as clicking the button to go on and X-ing out (if I am on the computer and he wants to play, he will tell me, "X out. Go back. Play games," and hit the windows key, then point to where is says "games" on the menu).

There are a lot of things he does not do (and has no desire to do) so I don't know if I should continue to ignore his interest in learning until he can handle his other issues (dressing himself, talking more/ developing himself socially, potty training) or if I can go ahead and just let him loose. There is an overwhelming probability that he will be going into some sort of therapy once he goes to this next evaluation, but I won't be sure what kind until we get there.

So what would you do, especially those of you who have homeschooled for a long time? Oh, and fwiw, he does get outside and has a lot of varied indoor playtime (running around, bowling, blocks, drawing, dancing, reading) as well.
    Melissa.

jmbringleinjax is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Re: Talk to me about the little ones, oh ye venerable sages.

Quote Originally Posted by SahmIam
    I have been holding out on my newly-turned three-year-old. ...

There are a lot of things he does not do (and has no desire to do) so I don't know if I should continue to ignore his interest in learning until he can handle his other issues (dressing himself, talking more/ developing himself socially, potty training) or if I can go ahead and just let him loose.

So what would you do, especially those of you who have homeschooled for a long time? Oh, and fwiw, he does get outside and has a lot of varied indoor playtime (running around, bowling, blocks, drawing, dancing, reading) as well.
    I personally would not hold him back. Here's my example:
    My middle child is 6. He is on T4L doing 1st grade math, but he is still not reading. I am not going to stop him from doing the math, because he does not want to learn to read (he told me that he does not need to read until he is 7!). I just need to do something different with him on the reading. My oldest is the opposite. He is two "grades" lower in math, and advanced in the Language Arts (well, except for writing, he still wants to dictate...).

Also, both my boys were 3 before they were potty trained, they had no desire to use the potty.

I have been debating about putting my almost 4 yo girl on T4L, I have decided that we will do that in August. She likes to look at the computer, but she is not as advanced as your son.

I hope this helps.
    Jeanne in Jacksonville, FL

My middle child is 6 too. She does not care to print, but she loves trying to write in cursive like big sister by using her reference chart.

My son understands the idea of potty training and loves to watch his Elmo potty training video in the car. He knows all of the steps, from putting the potty-protecting paper on to drying his hands. I just can't get him to actually sit on the potty! I have a potty training book I haven't read yet, so I haven't lost hope.

I'm still not sure if we're ready for T4L for little man. I have no doubts that he would like it and do well, but on the other hand, I don't know if I'm up to limiting it. I'm thinking about the meltdowns he would have every afternoon as I dragged him away from the computer. I'll think about it a little more and maybe we'll give it a go.

I think I am going to at least pursue reading with him since he has been working that way for a long time. I would say he's more quirky than advanced, though. From pretty early on, he was obsessed with letters, numbers, and puzzles. He also wouldn't scribble for a long time. He started out with lines and quickly went to drawing letters. It was actually a little strange, but compared to a year ago he's evening out his interests. I put away a lot of the alphabet stuff and he's moved to trains and other "boy" stuff.

My middle child started to read a bit later than my oldest, but she caught up rather quickly. I think that she is more driven by wanting to emulate her big sis' love of reading. So I have a feeling that since your older child does so well in that area, the younger one may catch up a little faster than you expect him to.
    Melissa.

Beth is offline Member

Wow, Sahm, that little guy of yours sounds pretty amazing. My 4 kids run the gamut with regard to learning styles & abilities. Kids are all so different, it's amazing, even siblings! Yeah, I second the motion on what the others said: Just make available anything and everything and let him absorb and learn whatever he wants to learn. I don't think I've ever heard of advice contrary to that. (Except on a movie called Matilda, where the dad, Danny DeVito, told his daughter, "Why do you want BOOKS when you have the TV sitting right in front of you?!" What an idiot!) Anyway, as far as meltdowns every time you turn off the computer: maybe if you use a timer that he learns that when the timer dings, it's time to turn off the computer. It might take a few examples. I hope you get it worked out, though.

See ya!

Beth

Oh, Beth, you just gave me a giggle! When I was a little girl, I loved that book. So you could imagine how thrilled I was when my oldest daughter fell in love with the works of Roald Dahl last year. Truth be told, she has read far more of his work than I ever did, but I do love how DeVito delivered that line in the film. As a kid, 95% of the time my room was a pigsty and my mom would yell at me for staying up all night reading instead of cleaning. Now I'm a much better housekeeper, but I do still love to read. What a great character that little Matilda was with the teacher she adored. And who could forget Mrs. Trunchbull? I think she instilled a fear of principals in me from there on out.
    Melissa.

drgnstrm is offline Senior Member

The only problem I can foresee if your little guy may end up learning the computer very well at a young age My son was the same way, at 3 he knew more then my dh and had to help him to print out something for me at that time for my job. Dh has greatly improved but Kyle can still out do him on the computer Now I have to stay one step ahead of him (he's 14) for is interest in the bad side of the web.
    Happy Homeschooling Dayna

Stephanie739 is offline Senior Member

Hi all! I've been busy!!!

Anyway, my 3 year old son (4 in August) has had two tries at Time4Learning. He is very good on the computer too, and both trials were initiated by him.

The first time (a free two week trial) was around December 08 (I think) and he completed a few lessons, but wasn't into it enough to start a subscription, yet.

In March, I began a subscription for him because he wanted to have school on the computer too. He had been in public preschool (2 days a week), but now he is my third child to be pulled from the public system. Nothing bad happened, but I had only planned on keeping him enrolled for as long as he was interested. Once he began making a fuss about going, I pulled him....

Anyway, the second trial lasted for about a month. He was completing a couple lessons a week, sometimes enthusiastic - sometimes not so, but I really only stopped the subscription to save money. My girls will finish T4L on June 25 for a summer break, and all three kids will begin again in late August or early September.

My advice - don't hold your child back! Each child develops differently. If yours is skilled on the computer and ready for the lessons, let him do them. They are great. Try the trial and see how he likes them.

Good luck.
    ~Stephanie

mom to:
    Tori (13)
    Meghan (9)
    Andy (5)

I had a box of K-6 learning software that I purchased for my girls years ago and never even opened. So I loaded that all onto the computer and he's been playing it. I think we'll see if he continues to do well and if so, we'll move on. I'm sure he'll be ready for T4L soon.
    Melissa.