Is there a limit on daily lessons?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Medusa is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Is there a limit on daily lessons?

Hi! How many lessons are availible for students each day? Is there a limit to how many students can do?

I'm thinking of using T4L as a core curiculum for my homeschooler. My son is 8, very smart and on the Autism Spectrum.

One feature of his ASD is obsessive interests. This is coupled with extreme focus and amazing attention span when dealing with subjects of interest.

Well, I showed him the demo lessons and he was crazy about them! Which is great, BUT my fear is that if enough aren't availible each day he might meltdown.
    Meltdowns are serious business!

Thanks!

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Is there a limit on daily lessons?

welcome medusa

you're going to find there are actually very few limitations to this program, which is exactly why we love it. i can't imagine there being a limit to how many can be done, especially after watching my kids do several every day. My son is very much like yours in that he gets very in tune with what he's doing and doesn't come up for air.

welcome to the group and let us know if you need anything.
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

SahmIam is offline Senior Member

As far as I know, he can do as many as he wants to do per day. My girls are set up to where they usually do about a dozen activities per day, but that's just based on what I ask them to do. If left to their own devices, the younger one would do double or triple that. The system is set up to be at your own pace, so hypothetically if he wanted to do 50 lessons (which even at the lower level would be hours upon hours) he could. The one thing I have heard from a parent with a child on the spectrum is that the pacing of some of the animated lessons is too slow (but he reads extremely fast).
    Melissa.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Medusa. Welcome! I'm glad your son was enthusiastic about the demo lessons.

Your son can do as many or as few lessons per day as you wish.

He can do them in any order you prefer.

He can skip lessons that you feel aren't necessary.

He can do lessons where he needs extra practice as many times as he needs to do them.

If your family doesn't like tests, he can do just the lessons and skip the quizzes and tests . . . or do just lessons and quizzes and skip the "long" tests.

He can do the tests first and then only do the lessons his tests indicate he needs to do.

He can do all language arts one day and all math the next . . . or do a little language arts and a little math each day.

He can move between levels. For example, if he is working in fifth grade math and starts to stumble when he reaches fractions, he can move to fourth grade math for the fraction lessons. Then, he can go back and do the fifth grade fractions lessons, or save them for the following year.

Bottom line . . . Time4Learning is as flexible as you need it to be!

Glad to have you with us!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Yes, what Kelly said! The thing is, once you get started, you see how it works and how it will work for you. My girls are much more interested in it than I thought they would be and a year later, they're still going strong. So I would say just to try out the trial period and see how he does. I think you'll be surprised! I especially like the logical progression of the lessons. If the girls get going in a subject and don't stop when they're "supposed to" (based on our academic schedule) it's really not a big deal because they are just building on what they know. The way everything is introduced, one topic flows to the next.

Let us know what he thinks of the program.
    Melissa.

Medusa is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thanks for the great answers and warm welcome!

We're about to go on vacation, so we won't be signing up for a couple of weeks, but we're really exicted I think we (finally!) found a great curriculum fit.

Medusa

Great! Let us know what you think once you start.
    Melissa.

denimay is offline Senior Member

I'm having trouble getting started........I feel like an idiot, but where do I go to "set up" the program?? My son has a significant speech delay and we are not in a place where we can get services or official 'evaluations' so I've been doing the best I can on my own. We need to start with the letters of the alphabet and basic counting, etc. even though my son is OLD.....I feel we have to start at the begining and move on from there.........any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. deni may.......
    deni may ............
    artist and teacher

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

http://www.currclick.com/?affiliate_id=15313

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

That's the beauty of Time4Learning, when compared to other computer programs I've tried! You don't have to "set up" anything! Are you SIGNED up? You should go here to sign up, if you haven't already. For first grade math, it's better if the student is comfortable with numbers up to one hundred, so you will probably want to begin at the kindergarten level. First grade language is beginning phonics, so if you're at the learning-the-alphabet stage, kindergarten is the place to start with language, too. I suggest that all but the oldest students begin with first grade social studies and science, just because the lessons are so fun!

Once you have your password, just log in, select a subject (math, language, etc.) and click where the arrow is pointing. Continue clicking to the icon where the arrow is pointing until you access a lesson activity.

You'll want to know how to url=http://www.time4learning.com/hints/hints_how_to_exit.shtml]mark each activity as complete[/url], so it shows up on his report.

The Getting Started Guide is a good help.

Feel free to come back and ask questions as they arise. There's a lot of support on this forum! We're glad to have you with us!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

tigersmoondiva is offline Junior Member Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by denimay
    I'm having trouble getting started........I feel like an idiot, but where do I go to "set up" the program?? My son has a significant speech delay and we are not in a place where we can get services or official 'evaluations' so I've been doing the best I can on my own. We need to start with the letters of the alphabet and basic counting, etc. even though my son is OLD.....I feel we have to start at the begining and move on from there.........any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. deni may.......
    My son was delayed with speech too. (So much so people were giving me quite the hard time.) In our case his speech has improved significantly just by teaching him phonics. He seems to LOVE the T4L stuff. We just started but I had tried him on ClicknKids - and it went too quickly for him and frustrated him literally to tears even on day 1.

We use both this program and Saxon Phonics. I just stay very patient with him and keep it fun;D

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast