Thinking about homeschoolin soon to be 7th grader
    momto3boys is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Thinking about homeschoolin soon to be 7th grader

My 6th grader is not doing well in middle school. He has gone from a straight A student with commended scores on his TAKS tests to failing 3 subjects in middle school.

He has been bullied and picked on this year due to his ADHD and slight Aspergers syndrome.

I am thinking about homeschooling him next year for 7th grade;however I am at a loss as to what I need to do to even begin with the process.

I am in Texas, and I am unfamiliar with their homeschooling system.

Can you guys give me some pointers?

What do I need to do?
    How do I find a curriculum?
    What subjects must he learn?
    How much time each day does it take?

Thank you very much and I look forward to learning more about this.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Here are the laws regarding homeschooling in Texas. If you also read the legal analysis, you will see that Texas does not heavily regulate homeschooling.

Here is an article that specifically concerns usng Time4Learning in Texas.

Homeschooling takes far less time per day than a group school situation, largely because of "crowd control" issues. (There is no time spent standing in line, waiting for other students to finish their work, and so forth.)

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Lisa333 is offline Member Regular

There is a great free Introduction to Homeschooling that you can download.
    [img:140:154]http://www.time4learning.com/images/covericon.gif[/img]
    Click to download.

Ktwirls is offline Junior Member Newbie

That sounds alot like my situation. My son started 7th gr middle school this school year (6th gr was still in Elem.) and middle school is a whole new ball game. It was horrible. My son also has ADHD and mild autism (PDD). So the whole social thing got in the way of him learning. My sons learning is uneven, some subjects better than others. English being hard and Math he does good in. So with t4l we can move around to what works for him because you have access to a few grades. So for English is in 6th and Math he is in 7th on t4l. Now I get to pick the social situations he gets to be in and he is much happier and our homelife too since no more stress about school. He now can focus on learning and I can see he is absorbing the material verses just doing it.
    I don't know about Texas homeschool requirements but find a local homeschool group they will give you the best answers as to what is really required (don't ask your local public school people! they hardly ever really know!). You can just google Texas homeschool group and even then you can find one in your area. That is what we did and we have park days/gym/field trips for the kids and parents to get ideas and support.
    Kim Ann~Quad Cities, IA/IL
    Mom to boys ages 14, 9, 7, 5 and girl age 3!
    Advocate for birth, breastfeeding, & babywearing!