Thinking about homeschooling
    ab3boys is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Thinking about homeschooling

Hi I have 3 boys, oldest 4 years, 2 years and 3 months. I am deciding if I want to homeschool or send my oldest to preschool. I am a high school graduate, I was ill a lot in my elementary years, I was never held back but feel like I somewhat slid through school in my early years, will this effect offering my boys a good education. I took a lot of college prep classes in high school, my husband and I knew that we were both in agreement on me staying home after we had children so we never invested the money for me to go to college. I want to give my boys the best I think in a lot of ways we could offer them a better foundation homeschooling but I want the best for their education also. I am also wondering how parents handle their day to day activities when you have a cild homeschooling 2 other children to take care plus all of your household work to get done. Also when the others are ready how do you keep up with the normal stuff plus three different grade levels of homeschoolers, and the possibility of having more children? I could really use some guidance on this matter!!! Help??????

Momma Crystal is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Thinking about homeschooling

Wow! You ask a lot! No fret! You are MORE than qualified to teach your own child. Your level of education has no true relevance. You are obviously articulate, literate, and thoughtful. You're good to go! Don't give that another thought!

I have a four year old myself, as well as a 2 year old, and I have a third on the way, and we'll probably have more!

How do you do it? You just DO! Programs like Time4Learning are EXTREMELY helpful as there is little for the parent to do ahead of time. Much of the thinking is done for you. Homeschooling, especially as the children are younger, only takes an hour or two a day. More as they get older. When I'm working with my 4 year old I usually give my 2 year old something to do that looks similar. So if my 4 year old is working with map manipulatives, the 2 year old gets some too.

Also, it is possible to do things like "unit studies." So everyone in the family is studying the same topic (ie. dinosaurs) at the same time but just taking in the information at their own level. The older children could write a report, the youngers could draw pictures, or something in between.

Most homeschoolers will jokingly tell you that your house will never clean, you'll never be caught up on the laundry, etc. Personally, at 4, my son already has MANY chores he must do that helps me tremendously. I also expect my husband to help a lot. We manage. Homeschooling is a life style. A BUSY lifestyle. But an EXTREMELY rewarding one. Only you can figure it out as you go. Read blogs and books. Glean info from veterans that might work for you. Some years will be awesome. Some years will be trying. Some days you'll be on top of the world and have it all figured out. Some days you'll be so discouraged you threaten to send them all to school.

But you CAN do it!

SahmIam is offline Senior Member

It sounds like Time4Learning is what you're looking for. Homeschooling is a commitment, and with some programs the amount of hands-on time a parent must put in is substantial. Not so with T4L. You and your child will determine how much time you need to put into helping him along. At first, you may need to sit with him during each of his lessons, which are fast and fun! As he gets older and gains independence, you may find that T4L is a great quiet activity he can complete while the younger children are napping and you are working on something else nearby.

I admit my house stays a lot less tidy with the kids home and there's less time to get things done, but it's a good trade-off. The girls learn so much and have so much extra time to pursue their own learning that I think the system is great for us. Anyone who has been around me for a long time will tell you that I value education and a love of learning. T4L has been an insiration for my children to jump off into many areas of interest that they might not have pursued if the teaching was all left up to me. For example, my favorite subjects are writing and science. One of my daughters also loves science (but also history, my worst subject!) whereas the other is really into literature and art. Being exposed to lessons that fully meet their state requirements in a fun-- not tedious-- fashion gives them a clean slate to learn what interests them, not what I impose on them. Hopefully that makes sense.

And for what it's worth, I am a big-time dropout, so don't feel bad about not having the education in your background. There are so many resources available nowadays that when the kids have a question you can't readily answer, you will be able to figure it out with them.
    Melissa.

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

welcome to the forum!!

i'm about to give you the most important advice you will ever hear as a parent, be it a homeschooling parent, a stay-at-home-mom, a mom with infants, a mom with toddlers, or a mom with (God forbid) teenagers... are you ready?

BREATHE!!! as moms, whenever we consider a new undertaking, we tend to automatically freak out about the big picture ... to jump to conclusions a little, it sounds like you're just about there. so let's break it down a little further and discuss some simple parts of it that you might have forgotten.

When it comes to homeschooling, you don't have to have a Master's degree, that is the BEST part about it! You only have to smart enough to choose a great curriculum (not naming names here, but there's this really great online curriculum called T4L that is AMAZING - lol). You also have to be smart enough to know your limitations ... like mine is any math beyond calculus (not because i *couldn't* teach it, it just totally grosses me out).

first, you're starting with a preschooler ... even high school graduates know their abc's and i'm fairly certain you've got it in you to do that. secondly, as they grow and learn, you kind of learn with them. you would not believe what all i have picked up since we began homeschooling!! and the more you jog those brain cells you didn't think you'd use again, the more active they become. it's kind of like a disease ... but in a good way

about time management and schooling ... as with anything you add to your schedule, it becomes habit and you just find a way to add it into your schedule. start small. with kids your age, a great idea is to add in a dedicated reading time every day. you can easily set your kids down for two or three smallish books. as they become more used to sitting quietly and listening, add more time to reading time, or add something else - like abc flashcards.

when we sit down at the computer, my 10yo does his schoolwork and his 3yo sister plays quietly on the floor next to him with puzzles or coloring (her "schoolwork"). with preschool, it is perfectly acceptable to only do the computer work a couple of times a week. start with one morning, then go to two. you'll find that you start looking forward to it as well, and you might set your alarm a little earlier on those mornings to get some housework done before the little ones get up just so that you have that extra time.

crystal's comment about her 4yo doing chores was right on target. my children start chores at 2, with having a designated clean up time. they clean up their play room before nap and after dinner. as they grasp that concept, they start to help me when i'm cleaning up other rooms. my 3yo likes to help me in my bedroom - she picks up everything off the floor and puts it on my bed you're going to find that, at first, some chores take a LOT longer (emptying the dishwasher can take for-ev-er). and just like schooling builds on itself, so do the chores. (and fwiw, my house is NEVER perfectly clean, and the perpetually filled dirty clothes basket is totally the bane of my existence).

breaking up the big picture is going to be the key to your success. and remembering that when children learn, it is always a building process ... no matter what it is.

hth ... good luck and we look forward to hearing more about your journey!!
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ab3boys
    Hi I have 3 boys, oldest 4 years, 2 years and 3 months. I am deciding if I want to homeschool or send my oldest to preschool. I am a high school graduate, I was ill a lot in my elementary years, I was never held back but feel like I somewhat slid through school in my early years, will this effect offering my boys a good education. I took a lot of college prep classes in high school, my husband and I knew that we were both in agreement on me staying home after we had children so we never invested the money for me to go to college. I want to give my boys the best I think in a lot of ways we could offer them a better foundation homeschooling but I want the best for their education also. I am also wondering how parents handle their day to day activities when you have a cild homeschooling 2 other children to take care plus all of your household work to get done. Also when the others are ready how do you keep up with the normal stuff plus three different grade levels of homeschoolers, and the possibility of having more children? I could really use some guidance on this matter!!! Help??????
    Welcome! I am so glad you're here. This is the right place to come with questions and concerns. I loved all the answers you've received. This was GREAT counsel. I just want to stop and give you a big (((hug))). You will make a great homeschool mom. How do I know this? Because I see the heart of a mama in those questions. You want the very best for your boys! Let me just say that homeschooling is so much more than "school" or "academics". It's all about the relationships you are going to build with those boys. My first little homeschooler is going to graduate this May. After 12 years my memories are not us sitting at a table and doing math, but of the deep conversations we've had, the field trips we've taken, the games we've played, the tears we've shed.., TOGETHER! As long as I live I will never regret homeschooling my children.

A wonderful book that you might enjoy is called, "The Joyful Homeschool" by Mary Hood. I think if you read that it will make you feel so much better.

God Bless,
    Mary
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/