Thinking about homeschooling while traveling the country
    funcara7 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Thinking about homeschooling while traveling the country

I am curious what additional help I need or how are we sure to meet state requirements while traveling through the states. We plan to take a year or more. I would love an online curriculum but would also be willing to do workbook curriculums if theses are better for what we are planning. My husband will continue to work here in Alaska.

Thank you,

Cara Long

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

hi cara - i have looked into this as we've been dreaming about buying a motor home and traveling for a year ourselves. the general consensus that i've gotten is that as long as you're keeping something in your home state (house, your husband's job, etc), then you don't have to worry about checking in with other states or anything. you're just on vacation. if you have a certain time that you have to turn in your materials, (i don't know how alaska does it) you might want to either fedex stuff to your hubby so he can send them from home, or make sure you're home that week, or whatever. but, as always, the best answer is to double-check with someone from your county/state just to make sure. good luck, have fun!!
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

TravelingBat is offline Junior Member Newbie

Cara,
    I am actually just thinking about joining. We are a military family who is also traveling the country in an RV. We lived in Alaska for 5 years. I homeschooled for a short period of time from 2006 - 2007 while we RVed from Alaska to NY, and then to NM. It was just a temporary thing (4months) so we didn't actually follow a curriculum, as I had one child not in school yet, and the other just going from kindergarten to 1st grade. This time my kids will be 3rd and 5th grade. I would love to keep in contact with you.
    Patti
    THE REWARDS OF THE JOURNEY
    FAR OUTWEIGH
    THE RISK OF LEAVING THE HARBOR

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

HI Patty and Cara,

I think it sounds delightful and exciting to homeschool as you travel. I agree with sweet Jess that as long as you keep registered with your home state you would stick with those laws. I want to tell you that over the past 12 years I've met lots of amazing families like yours who have traveled while homeschooling. Most of those moms did math and language arts and just embraced the different places they traveled to. They would investigate where they were going and let their children help them make their plans. A wonderful resource that happens to be FREE is the State forums. I can't wait to hear all about your adventures.

I think Time4learning would be a GREAT fit for your lifestyle. No books or workbooks to carry all over the place, it does all your record keeping, etc..,
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

bethm95 is offline Junior Member

I don't have any help for you as far as state requirements for homeschooling while you're traveling, but I just wanted to say I am GREEN with envy!!! Talk about hands on homeschooling!! Your children will learn geography, history,science and even math in a way that they would never learn in a classroom!!! What an opportunity!!!