Thinking about HS
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    eaglesfly is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Thinking about HS

I have been researching having my son do homeschooling. One of the things I have to do is chose and option for my Notice of Intent letter.

I have been out of high school and college for a very long time, so I have no idea where my diplomas are, which is one option.

Another options is to provide "program of study". Program may be delivered through a correspondence course or distance learning program, or in any other manner.
    ..Include proof by cancelled checks, receipts etc

My question is this..Would this be considered program of study? And is there a way to get proof of payment? Is there a receipt page after paying?

Thanks in advance.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, eaglesfly. What state are you in? I'll look up how you state defines "program of study".

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Thanks so much. I am in Virginia.

ambertopaz75 is offline Senior Member

The diploma you get at graduation is pretty much ceremonial you will need your transcript. It is pretty easy to get a copy of your transcript from high school. You can either call your old high school or call the school district. You may have to pay for a copy but it shouldn't take to long to get it.
    Amber
    13y/o son with PDD-NOS

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

I'm not an attorney, of course. As an experienced amateur, my interpretation of Virginia's laws is that a parent who is not a certified teacher may homeschool as long as they notify the superintendent of their school district of their intentions (annually)and provide a "curriculum or program of study". Reading further, I see that the superintendent will be looking for adequate written language skills on the part of the parent and a reasonable scope and sequence. Approval is automatic, as long as notification is submitted. Notification doesn't have to be on any specific form.

The Home School Legal Defense Association says Virginia is one of the easier states in which to homeschool, due to low regulation. They do require an annual evaluation of some sort, but there are many options for providing this.

Time4Learning provides a printable scope and sequence for each subject at each grade level. I believe that would easily satisfy the requirement for a "curriculum or program of study".

If I were planning to homeschool in Virginia, I would begin by writing a short letter stating my intention. The letter only needs to state your intention to homeschool, and shouldn't go into all the reasons you might have for the decision. I would have someone proofread it, if I had any doubt about my writing skills. I would deliver that letter, along with Time4Learning's scope and sequence, to the superintendent of schools.

Good luck as you make your decision!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Thank you so much for your fast reply.

I was pretty much thinking that this program should qualify. I supppose I just wanted someone else to agree with me.

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

eagles, you'll find that t4l not only meets but exceeds most state's requirements. you've made a great decision, and we're glad to have you! WELCOME!!!
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

aandwsmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yca
    eagles, you'll find that t4l not only meets but exceeds most state's requirements. you've made a great decision, and we're glad to have you! WELCOME!!!
    Yep, my Mom aka the retired school teacher was concerned about making sure my son did what was required for 6th grade so he wasnt behind. I bought the What Every 6th Grader Needs to Know book as recommended from people here. Guess what, the t4l curriculum follows it! I am not concerned! My son is doing great on t4l and I have no worries that he isnt getting a full curriculum!!!He is right on track!
    Welcome to the group and jump right in!!!

mommatomyblessings is offline Member Regular

I am a new homeschooling mother from Virginia. It has been almost 16 years since I graduated and had no idea where my diploma was. Just call the school you graduated from and request a copy of your high school transcripts. This works just fine.
    Amanda & Travis

Parents to our 4 kids
    Lauren (Brooke) - 12
    Zachery - 10
    Sarah - 6
    Jackson - 2

mommatomyblessings is offline Member Regular

I am a new homeschooling mother from Virginia. It has been almost 16 years since I graduated and had no idea where my diploma was. Just call the school you graduated from and request a copy of your high school transcripts. This works just fine.
    Amanda & Travis

Parents to our 4 kids
    Lauren (Brooke) - 12
    Zachery - 10
    Sarah - 6
    Jackson - 2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast