thinking about pulling my son out of public school
    joshiesmommy is offline Junior Member

Default thinking about pulling my son out of public school

Our situation is long and complicated. I have a special needs child and have been fighting the system since kindergarten. He is now in fourth grade but overall not doing anything above second grade work in any subject. He is getting all of the services they are willing to give him in school and he just isnt progressing much at all.

Due to inattention and resulting behavior issues, he gets suspended quite often. As a result he has shown me that he can sit down and focus to get work done but it seems to require constant supervision (which the school will not directly give him) and even the teacher has stated that we can complete more in one or two days of suspension than he completes regularly in a week or more.

So my biggest dilemma when I finally make the leap is what grade to I put him at on this site. Technically he is a 4th grader, but educationally and developmentally he is nowhere near.

Also, any advice or input would be greatly appreciated. I am a little apprehensive but am starting to realize that there is no way I can do any worse than they are doing right now.

Thanks in advance.
    Chelly

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Chelly. Students can work at different grade levels in each subject. My own son with significant special needs will be eleven in February. He has been using the preschool program for years, and is just now starting to use some of the kindergarten lessons. Of course, we do a lot of other stuff, too.

Some parents place their student where they "think" they belong in each subject and then have them do the chapter tests first. If they do well on the test, they do not have to do any of the lessons in that chapter. They just try the next chapter test. If they do not do well on the test, they do the lessons in the chapter and try the test again.

That wouldn't work for my own son, since he isn't working at a level that has tests. Depending on your son's abilities, it might be an option for you. (My son is called Joshie, too, by the way . . . same spelling and all. )

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Default thank you

Thank you Kelly. Too cool about your son's name. That is my oldest, the youngest is Matthew, and is the one I am seriously leaning towards homeschooling.

I appreciate the advice. Matthew is a smart kid, he just doesnt seem to do well in the traditional school setting.

He does really well when we work on math together, however the other subjects would probably require my doing what you suggest.

I am leaning strongly towards this site once we make our final decision.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Don't forget that you can receive a refund if you cancel within the first two weeks. Sometimes just trying something is the best way to decide. Good luck making your decision.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Hi Chelly,

We are in the same position here in our home. I have a special needs son that is 12 years old and he varies in his level of learning. He was in Public School from Kindergarten through the third grade without much progress. With an IEP, Individualized Education Plan, he still did not grasp a lot of what he learned due to his health condition. I do understand.
    I like the time4learning.net website and all that it offers to keep him engaged with struggling attention span. This is our 2nd school year using this website and I have found that it is a nice part of what we use to teach him. We use a variety of books as well as online lessons to help him learn. He is our youngest child and he has really made progress when we made the decision to home school. He can now read small paragraphs and he has figured out that it can be accomplished on his own.

Feel free to email anytime. I would love to talk with you further.

Angela Hart

Angela,
    Thank you for your input. It is great hearing from another special needs parent.

Well, after a week of smaller issues, my son got into a fight this afternoon so has been suspended for 5 days (his assistant principal told him she wanted to give him 10 days but 5 was all the rules allowed). I guess it is safe to say that this was just the push that I needed. We have decided to homeschool him next week on a trial basis just to see how it goes. He is due to go back to school on the 14th but of things go well, I may go ahead and make the switch and be done with it.