Thinking of homeschooling
    wes
    wes is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Thinking of homeschooling

I'm thinking of homeschooling my 5th and 7th grader. Just not satisfied with public school system. My only concern (because I'm just starting to do my research), are home schooled kids looked at differently when it comes to filling out college applications? I'm wanting to take them out of school to better their education but I'm affraid of disadvantaging them when it comes to college.

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

While my own kids aren't there yet, you're going to find that more and more colleges are starting to seek out homeschooled kids. For the most part, homeschoolers are more driven, more able to work independently, and more active in extracurricular programs - all things that colleges love. Just make sure you keep good records, and keep your kids on track
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

ch50250 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default I am there

Quote Originally Posted by wes View Post
    I'm thinking of homeschooling my 5th and 7th grader. Just not satisfied with public school system. My only concern (because I'm just starting to do my research), are home schooled kids looked at differently when it comes to filling out college applications? I'm wanting to take them out of school to better their education but I'm affraid of disadvantaging them when it comes to college.

Just a quick response as I am there with my oldest who has been home schooled her entire schooling life.

School systems allow you to have your child take PSAT and SAT with the graduating class. Colleges not only seek home schooled students but have entire offices devoted to any advice or transcriptional help the student may need. Online schools allow you to obtain an actual high school diploma for the home schooled child, or you can compile a portfolio that many headmasters will accept in lieu of diploma.

Not sure what state you're in, but in the great state of VA they actually have a free online virtual school for K-8 call Virginia virtual academy. There is always the k-12 online if you are worried about record keeping.

Peace and good luck!

garciacarlos is offline Junior Member Newbie

It´s a matter of time for the Colleges to start considering home schooling as a good practice.
    At the time your kids are college aged, home schooling will be a regular practice.
    I you don´t like public school system (so do I), go ahead a home-school them.
    Good luck!!

Searching for Options is offline Junior Member Newbie

I just heard from friend that has homeschooled her daughter from K-12 that her SAT scores were penalized for homeschooling. Have you heard any such thing? This was in TX. Thank you.