Thinking of Homeschooling
    jennrn is offline Junior Member Newbie

Question Thinking of Homeschooling

Hi,
    I am a mom to 3 young kids ages 6 1/2, 5, & 3 1/2. I was thinking about it because of many reasons one being that I feel that the typical school day is too long for my oldest and she has homework also. I feel this is counterproductive to learning. But I'm not sure I'm the best to teach my kids. I have a BSN in nursing but that is a totally different field. My kids are also a bit, shall we say, hyper!! Especially when they sit down together. First, how do you teach children of different ages. I mean, they are at different levels of ability. My oldest can read while my youngest would need to learn letters. I really don't think unschooling is for me. I still feel like I could either through this program or even another, just buy textbooks and teach them that way. I guess it would be like recreating school at home. I was thinking of making a schedule and teach them for about 3-4 hours in the morning. Also my kids do watch too much TV, I know that is a problem for me. Anyway, thanks for any input.

Jennifer

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

welcome, jennifer!! sounds like you've got a typical case of pre-homeschooling jitters - no worries, we've all had them!!!

first of all, know that you don't have to have a teaching degree to be a homeschooling mommy. just like you don't have to go to west point to be in the military, or go to cooking school to open a pizza joint. what you MUST have is a love for your children, the desire to want the best for them, and the common sense to get them whatever they need. (and if your kids are like mine - duct tape lol) now, keep in mind, that doesn't always mean homeschooling ... in our case it did, and it sounds like you might be in the same spot. as their mom, you know more than anyone else who they are, what they need, how they learn, and what they can/can't handle. you've been teaching them all their lives: manners, colors, safety, hygiene ... math and grammar aren't that different. in fact, it was easier to teach my 10yo basic algabraic functions than it is for him to remember to say please all the time!!! lol

hyperactivity is something we ALL deal with. remember, they're KIDS!!! lol one thing i've learned is that getting them out of school and giving them time to play curbs a lot of that. not all of it mind you (that's where the duct tape comes in handy lol) ... but most of it. when they can sit and do a lesson for 15 minutes and then go run around crazy for 15 minutes, then they're able to sit still and learn for 30 minutes ... and it goes on from there. my 10yo now works for 45 min and has a 15 min break (for the most part).

your kids are close enough in age where you are going to be doing a lot as a group. while some things will be on specific levels, you can make fun games out of other subjects that will include everyone. it might take you awhile to find a system that works for you, but when we first started, i would work with one child while the other one read, colored or played quietly nearby. then we would switch off. we started off really slow, then as we would get used to a schedule, i would add something else (we still do that now).

t4l is a wonderful program for us, should you choose this one, i hope you'll be happy, too. but something to keep in mind: when we first chose to hs, i had this picture in my mind of what it was "supposed" to look like. it only took 3 weeks for me to be miserable. start slow, and then build up into what works best for YOUR family. every single family is different ... what is amazing for us collapses others, and vice versa.

and as far as tv goes, we use it as a reward ... but we also use it as an educational tool. lots of preschool tv for our 3yo in the morning, and discovery/history specials for the older ones (depending on tv schedule).

so good luck, let us know how we can help you
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

jennrn is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi Jess,
    Thanks for your advice! I'm still reading alot about all the different ways. It can be a bit overwhelming. But I think I'll try to do a 'mini' homeschool during the summer break and see how it goes.

Jennifer

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

that is an awesome idea i had a very good friend whose husband was still on the fence about pulling their son out to homeschool. she did a lot with him over the summer and the change was so drastic that her husband didn't even think twice about keeping them home. its a good way to "trial run" what you're doing. please let us know if you need anything else!!
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!