Thinking of homeschooling and using this site
    clmjday is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Thinking of homeschooling and using this site

I'm considering hs'ing my adhd, pdd, anxiety d/o, mood d/o son in the fall. I have been on several sites that mention this being a great site for kids with these issues. If anyone has any feedback on pros and cons of kids like my son using t4learning... I would appreciate it!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi. You might be interested in this page concerning using Time4Learning with children who have special needs.

Here is one specifically about ADHD.

There's also a separate forum for special needs at the bottom of the main forum page.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

drgnstrm is offline Senior Member

My son aslo has adhd, I have been homeschooling him for 5 years and this is the 1st year we have tried T4L (we have been using it for 2 months now) It has made my life easier and he enjoys it so he is happy to start school. Our days were full of stress and this has helped cut the stress in a couple of his classes. Mostly Math and Language Arts, although we have been supplimatiing the social studies and a little of the science in his work.
    Happy Homeschooling Dayna

ergon4 is offline Member Regular

Our son has anxiety, OCD, dyslexia, and mild ADD and we have been successfully homeschooling with T4L for about 1 1/2 years now. It has been an incredibly positive experience. He really enjoys the interactivity of this curriculum, and doesn't stress over the lessons, like he had with some curricula we've tried. Advantages of T4L: colorful, fun, easy to complete, record keeping and lesson planning done for you, all core subjects covered, low anxiety Disadvantages: Can't really think of any...it is a terrific program. Hope you are able to sign up!

Kerry
    Raising homegrown geeks...one laptop at a time. Check out my Topsy-Techie blog at http://topsytechie.wordpress.com/

adelenpaul is offline Member Regular

We've been using T4L with our 10yo dd (ADHD, Tourette's, EGifted, and anxiety) for almost a year. It has really helped us make progress. We're using it for math and social studies, supplementing the history with literature books. I also use some of the literature book units and the language arts lessons.

Dd really enjoys the language arts and the math. The history she would prefer it be more animated however it is still interactive and she IS learning. For the first time in eight years of homeschooling we're only a couple weeks behind schedule for history. Normally I'm lucky if it's 6 months but it's usually a year or more. So, I'm thrilled with that.

I have found if there is a time of day when she is more successful in concentrating then that's when we do the lessons. We also take breaks so she can get some activity or a change of pace. She takes a lot of classes outside of the home so that is worked naturally into our routine. Don't be afraid to go back and repeat lessons. There are times when dd completely spaces off but finishes the learning activity. It's no big deal to repeat one. There have even been times she really wants to get a Mastered Star so will go back and redo tests and quizzes until she gets 100%. That's great in my book but not anything I require.

I love the flexibility to use the program as I think best. So we can repeat lessons, skip them rearrange topic sequence, etc. For example we have our state testing comin up in a month so I'm going to have her skip to the map and civic learning activities in teh social studies section. Then we'll go back and finish the history lessons. We also add in lots of living books to bring a time period to life. My choice and easy to do.

If you have any specific questions, just give a holler. There are quite a few people that are very generous with sharing! Blessings, Adele

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Welcome! I think you will find T4L'ing is a PERFECT fit for your special needs child. I have two sons with Processing issue's and one with "mild" autism. T4L'ing has been an AMAZING fit! (warm smile)
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Lisa333 is offline Member Regular

I think Time4Learning is a great way to build a homeschool program. But, I don't think it's the total answer. I believe that all kids, especially special needs, deserve a customized mix of materials. Here's a good discussion on on mixing curriculum.