thinking of joining questions
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pollyanna

Thread: thinking of joining questions

pollyanna is offline Junior Member

Default thinking of joining questions

ok i have been homeschooling my son for a couple yrs now. I would like to know how long each lesson takes? i need my son to focus on his reading more and would like him to catch up on it. so he will be doing 2 grade lvls if we choose to do this. 1st grade and 2nd grade will it be too much for him?
    thanks for any info on this subject
    pollyanna

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Pollyanna,

I would have your son work on level 1 first, not at the same time as level 2, and see how well he does. If he consistently zooms through the lessons and scores well, move up to level 2. If you think level 1 is going to be mainly a review for him, have him take the end of lesson tests to see how he scores. If he doesn't score very well, have him go back and complete the lessons and quizzes. If he does score well, move on to the next end of lesson test and repeat the procedure until he works up to level 2.

Keep us informed.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

TINKA12355 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi Pollyanna, I would like to start homeschooling my kids, but I am lost as to what to do, what reference can I use? What references did you use Pollyanna?

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Tinka,

Homeschooling in TX is very easy! You are considered a private school. There are very few requirements.

Here are some links to help you:

Texas Homeschool Coaliation

Frequently Asked Questions about Homeschooling in Texas

Texas Education Agency

Time4Learning is aligned to state and national standards and can be used as a standalone curriculum, or as a supplement. I would suggest adding Vocabulary Spelling City (free to use) as a supplement.

Have you gone to the Texas State Forum and looked around? You will find good info there that might really help you.

Here is a free e-book about homeschooling. It was written by homeschooling families for new homeschooling families. It is comprehensive without being overwhelming.

Keep us informed, and you CAN do it.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

pollyanna is offline Junior Member

Hi Tinka,
    Well i moved from Massachusetts to Texas and found it was much easier here. I have in the past bought some prepackaged subjects, but i like time4learning much better. My son loves computers and writing is very hard for him. We have been using T4L for almost 2 weeks and I have noticed an improvment in his reading and his willingness to do school work. I really wish I had found this site a few yrs ago.
    Robin likes this.

Robin is offline Senior Member

Pollyanna, I'm glad things are working out for you. My son made huge improvements in reading once we started using T4L.