Thinking of signing up my oldest son
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    bethm95 is offline Junior Member

Default Thinking of signing up my oldest son

Last year we cyberschooled and this year is our first year of traditional homeschooling. We have discovered, just in the past month, how much our oldest is really struggling in math. He's 10 years old and in 4th grade. I want to get him caught up without all the tears and frustration. He's smart, but some areas of math really have him stumped and it seems like the harder he tries, the more frustrated he gets and we're going backwards instead of forwards. He's a kinesthetic learner, so I was wondering if Time4Learning would be a good option for him to help him with his math skills. I need honest answers and direction here, not just a bunch of propaganda to get me to sign up and end up right back where we started.

IrishMamato2Irishkiddos is offline Junior Member

My daughter has ants in her pants lol, she does not sit still. I am a very creative person and am able to make Language Arts loads of fun, so of course she started thriving in Language Arts. I have always disliked Math, and could not find creative ways to teach it (I have since learned of some really neat ways of teaching it). My daughter will be 5 in July, so it isn't such a big deal that her subjects were a bit lopsided, but I know that by Kindergarten I have to start making each subject equal.

We signed up for Time4Learning a few weeks ago, and I have to tell you my daughter loves the math section; She flies through the sections, and will sit on the computer until we tell her it is time to get off. A few days ago she was on the computer for close to three hours!!! She is not so keen on the Language Arts section however (which is fine by me because I have loads of ideas on how to make that fun for her).

I don't know if that helps you much as my little girl is quite a bit younger than your son, but I figure if it can capture a 4 year olds attention that is saying something Oh and I have heard wonderful things about a book series called MathStart, it is math in a story book format. We have started to use them for addition and subtraction, and my daughter gets really into the books.

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

hello beth, welcome!

my son is also in 4th grade. he LOVES the math section. he doesn't have many problems with math, except the normal hangups we all have: fractions, long division and decimals. i have trouble being a hands-on teacher, but i have found that going thru the math with him, we discuss the different concepts and he does understand it.

now, something you might want to consider is starting him at a lower "level". it is important for confidence sake that he knows that "level" is not necessarily the same thing as "grade". start him in level 3, make sure he has all of the basics down, and it will build up his self esteem a little for when you move on to level 4. think he knows some of level 3 already? have him take the chapter test at the end of each section, if he passes it with flying colors you know that he knows it. if he fails it miserably, you know he doesn't. somewhere in the middle? you might want to start there. as we all know, math is a building thing. you want to make sure you have each area of math covered before you move on to something harder.

please let me know if you have any more questions and i hope you find that this program works well with you son.
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

Connor's big struggles are also fractions, and long division. Math is my weakest subject, so my husband handles that area mostly, but we're frustrated right now. Should I start him on Time4Learning now at the end of the school year and have him work a little throughout the summer to catch up by fall?

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bethm95 View Post
    so I was wondering if Time4Learning would be a good option for him to help him with his math skills. I need honest answers and direction here, not just a bunch of propaganda to get me to sign up and end up right back where we started.
    I absolutely love your straight talk and totally get that! I cannot tell you how much time and money I invested in trying out all the latest and greatest programs over the 12 years we've homeschooled. (Abeka, Math U See, Horizons, Classical Conversations, Saxon, You name it) Here is my Time4Learning story...,

We had been homeschooling for 10 years when we first heard about Time4learning. I really liked that it was online because I have four sons and all of them tend to do well with interactive stuff. I thought we would try it as a supplement and quickly found they couldn't wait to do school.

At the time my oldest son was actually too old for Time4Learning, but he has a learning difference and was behind in just math. We were using a tutor and had tried a new program called, "Classical Conversations" (EXPENSIVE) and it didn't seem to make much progress after one year. My thinking (at first) was that Time4Learning would be used "in addition" to Classical Conversations, and the tutor, but we just couldn't afford to do it all.

I decided to just try Time4Learning for the whole year and we used it with all the boys. They seemed to have so much fun and school was getting done without me even having to ask. It almost seemed to easy. I would come to the boards constantly seeking reassurance that it was okay for it to be this easy. Fast forward to our year end test results....,

NEVER in all the years we've homeschooled had I ever had a gain in MATH like we did in "2007". My oldest son went up TWO GRADE LEVELS. Actually it was 2.1 grade levels. Our tester was intrigued and asked me to tell her about Time4learning because it was all the boys could seem to talk about. I never looked back. We've been happier than we've ever been in our whole homeschooling career using this program. I now invest my time helping them pursue their passions and Time4Learning does all the teaching of the core subjects for me.

This is NOT propaganda, (said with a warm smile) this is one mom to another who totally gets that question.

Now I want to say this though. I do not believe that every program is for every family. That is why we have so many choices. I would say GO FOR IT! You don't have to commit for more than one month at a time. I hope you will give it one full year because I believe that is when you will see honest to goodness results. I also would love to hear your honest feedback as you guys plug along.

I do have one tip. For whatever reason I found "Noise Canceling Headphones" work better than any other. It helps your child to engage and grasp more than the average headphones because it uses a white noise to cancel out the frequency that will most disturb the learning process.
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Thanks so much ladies for your help!!! My husband and I decided to sign him up starting tomorrow and see what happens. I'm recovering from a hysterectomy ( just had it last Monday) so I'm still not able to do much as far as teaching so this will be something they can do on their own. We do unit studies from homeschool share, and we're almost done with Mister Popper's Penguins. I'm hoping to finish that either this week or next.

Another thing, we're currently using Growing with Grammar and I really like it. Can they use the Time4Learning as a supplement to the Growiing with Grammar? Also, we're pretty laid back as far as homeschooling, at least I try to be, and with my surgery and appointments, etc. we can't always do schoolwork every day. Is time4learning something they have to do EVERY day, or is it something to work at their own pace?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bethm95 View Post
    Another thing, we're currently using Growing with Grammar and I really like it. Can they use the Time4Learning as a supplement to the Growiing with Grammar? Also, we're pretty laid back as far as homeschooling, at least I try to be, and with my surgery and appointments, etc. we can't always do schoolwork every day. Is time4learning something they have to do EVERY day, or is it something to work at their own pace?
    You can make Time4Learning work for you and your family anyway you'd like. We homeschool very similarly and one of the things I found was that Time4Learning allowed some form of schooling to take place even on the craziest of days. I think that was part of their year end success. I pray you feel better very soon sweet Beth. (((Big Hugs)))
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Thanks so much for the encouragement and words of support!!! We didn't "do school" at all last week because I had my surgery last Monday and my kids had to stay with my inlaws a few days. We used that time as one of those important "life lessons" that the kids can learn from. We're planning on starting back with school work tomorrow, but I'm not really worried if we don't get too much done. The kids are taking care of me and themselves very well when Daddy has to work and that's more important than grammar and math.

Blog Entries

Beth, you know what I love? Years from now your children will not remember every detail of what you taught them in school, but they will never forget the experience of helping to take care of their mama. I hope you have a great day back and that you're feeling better. (((Big Hugs)))

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast