Thinking of starting this program...
    tai_renee is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Thinking of starting this program...

I have an 8th grade student. What subjects do you have available for him currently? I am wondering what if anything I will have to seek out on my own.

I am paying 269.00 a month right now using ablaze academy and while I like the service it is just too expensive. Plus I am having quite a bit of tech problems with it. my son was only able to access 4 weeks worth of lessions in the last 2 months.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Math and language arts are currently available at the eighth grade level. Seventh grade social studies is frequently used by eighth graders just beginning the program. Many eighth graders also use fifth or sixth grade science.

Not all eighth graders will begin at the eighth grade level. If your student struggles with math or language, it is fine to place him in a different level. If you enroll him as an eighth grader, you will also have access to the seventh grade lessons.

Take a look at the Lesson Plans to see the scope and sequence.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Quote Originally Posted by hearthstone_academy
    Math and language arts are currently available at the eighth grade level. Seventh grade social studies is frequently used by eighth graders just beginning the program. Many eighth graders also use fifth or sixth grade science.

Not all eighth graders will begin at the eighth grade level. If your student struggles with math or language, it is fine to place him in a different level. If you enroll him as an eighth grader, you will also have access to the seventh grade lessons.

Take a look at the Lesson Plans to see the scope and sequence.
    Ok I did see that but I am wondering if this will suffice for our surrent state standards or do some of you suppliment with other means as well in combination with time4learning?

Also are the additional subjects beyond math and language at an additional cost or are they simply accessable to us?

Blog Entries

Science and social studies are free bonuses, offered at no charge with the language and math. A subscription is $19.95/month, regardless of how many subjects you choose to access. (Your additional children's subscriptions are $14.95/month.)

Curriculum provided by Time4Learning is correlated with state and national standards. It is in use at many public and private schools. Here is some information regarding standardized testing for parents who are concerned about meeting state standards.

Many families will choose to supplement any curriculum to personalize it for their student. Many are also using Time4Learning alone for the four core subjects (math, language, social studies and science). Some families use Time4Learning just for math or just for language and choose other curriculum for other subjects.

A search of this board will return several threads about supplementation. Hopefully, others will be along to share what they do.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Default spiking my curiosity.

I have been reading through some of the postings here and am really quite intrigued. I showed my son some of the sample curriculum here and he was laughing and having fun in no time. so this is something I may very well be trying this weekend. Payday always make things so much easier lol. Ablaze academy is great but a lot of reading and tends to bore him. He is ADHD and RAD and when he gets bored it is not pretty. He needs his attention captured and held. He seemed to like it.

I am seriously considering joining the HSDL since his bio dad is giving me such a time about schooling him at home. This is a kid who CANNOT sit in a classroom for 6-7 hours a day. He just cannot do it. He was bored and getting into trouble. They went as far as to put him in a BD classroom where it got worse not better until they isolated him in a corner with partition walls around him so he could not see anything but the teacher. Again it made him worse.

Working at home he does not feel so bored. he works at his own pace and if he gets stuck he has one on one help from me. He likes to feel like he is independant and in control of his school work and this type of program not only seems to get his attention but keeps it as well. So we will be signing up this weekend.

He has a typing tutor program that has lots of cool games and stuff to help him practice and it gives him certificates too when he achieves a goal. I am really glad I found this site! It is affordable and all around really nice!

Thank you to all who answered my questions. I do appreciate it.

Blog Entries

Click here for information about using Time4Learning with children with ADHD. Many families are using it successfully for children with a variety of special needs.

HSLDA won't provide legal support when the homeschooling dispute is between the child's parents. They will provide literature that discusses the benefits of homeschooling but, other than that, they aren't of assistance. Home School Legal Defense Association

lol I know but the thing is he is not attacking me directly he is making bogus reports to social services and having them attack me. Social services though they do not have the statutory authority to investigate educational matters have attempted more then once to play games with me.

adelenpaul is offline Member Regular

We have been using T4L this year for our core history and math. We pick and choose the book units and language arts activities to do. The science is supplementary to what she might already be doing. I love it and it has really helped our hs run smoothly (and this is my 8th year so it's not as if I'm a newbie! grin). Dd loves and seems to be really learning. yeah!

In terms of middle school science, you may want to take a look at another online science program called CyberEd. It's normally only available to school districts but homeschoolers can now purchase it through www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org at discounted rates. They offer three middle school courses: life, physical and earth & space. They have a lesson and an application and test to go with each. It does not keep the records for you but does grade it. This feature enables more than one student in a family to use the same course. They also have some terrific teacher resources.

We've loved it! It can be used as supplementary to a text or as a stand alone. In addition, the Homeschool Buyer's Co-op is also working on offering access to homeschoolers the really terrific virtual science labs from www.smartscience.net. These are College Board approved for AP lab experience. Not sure exactly when that will be available but the two products together would seem to make a great fit!

Blessings as you research and seek to educate your children,
    Adele
    [email protected]

well I am officially a time4learnong mom! My son is about to try the progra m for the first time as soon as I am done showering lol. I guess now I can stop posting here and start activly participating in the rest of the topics here.

I do have a question though.

Someone mentioned "study units"?? I have heard of them and vaguely understand them. Can someone tell me what exactly they are and how they work?

As for science we have a program called A.D.A.M. the inside story and wow is it amazing. It has EVERYTHING regarding science relating top the human body. It even has an option to block out any of the sex ed stuff if you do not want your children to take that part of the course. I don't agree with education children about sex. But that is just me. We are a family with very firmly rooted christian beliefs and being "old family" Pentecostal it is something we frown on for our kids. We also do not teach Evolution either. I will certainly be taking advantage of the subjects available here though.

Blog Entries

A unit study is generally centered around a theme. For example, perhaps the theme is "Horses". For science, the student might study horse anatomy; for language arts they would write about horses; for social studies they might examine the horse's role in history.

Unit studies like Five in a Row or The Prairie Primer are based on certain books. Learning activities are based on the plot, characters, or setting of a certain book.

Best wishes as you become an "official" Time4Learning family.