Thinnking of joining
    Momof2boys1girl is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Thinnking of joining

Hi, I have been trying to look for something to help my son and my husband found T4L.
    I'm curious if this would help my son at all. A little background may help.

My now 8 yr old who is in 2nd grade. Started preschool for a child with learning delays at 3 1/2 because he wasnt talking and we knew something had to be done. The school was AMAZING! He started talking, learned how to write letter though some were backwards and wrong but we were so happy he got that far! He continued at the school til the end of Kindergarten and he was doing so well. Things happened and we had to move. My son has been on an IEP for speech/language, reading, math and what not. The school here well in my terms, is leaving my son behind and not following their " no child left behind" act. I have had numerous conversations with the principal and special ed teacher and have gotten no where. At the end of last yr my son had (end of 1st grade)

Reading test
    letting naming frequency 37out of 37
    phoneme segmentation 46 of 35
    nonsense words fluency 43 of 50
    oral reading fluency 30 of 40
    Gates Reading test
    fall Kindergarden level
    Winter 1st grader 2 month of school and spring 1st grader 4 month of school

and now...

Reading test
    oral fluency 40 of 68
    gates reading 1st grader 6 month of school

star reading test 1st grader 3rd month of school

and star math 2nd grade.

Now this is upsetting that the school sees nothing wrong with this. My son wants to learn so bad yet they arenot doing their part helping him like they should be. My son crys that he should just be grounded because he just isnt smart like the other kids.

So my question is what are some of the reviews, have any children had this same problem and this site help their child? Thanks for all advice!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi. Are you considering using Time4Learning to supplement the education he is receiving at school? Many parents do that. Time4Learning is nice as a supplement because, if you stick to the animated, game-style formatted lessons, it seems less like "school" to a child who has already put in a full day of learning.

As mom to a child with special needs, my heart just broke when I read that your son feels he should be grounded for not being "smart". I'm glad you and your husband are doing everything you can to help him.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Momof2boys1girl is offline Junior Member Newbie

We are still deciding, I want go just home school him because his self esteem is just horrible. He says he has no friends and if I home schooled him I could get him out out to play with other children and not have to worry about these teachers making him feel like this. The school isn't doing much for him anyways. All of my kids are into sports and have weekly activities that we do with them to get them involved with children since they don't interact with kids at school very often

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

I feel your pain, my then 6 year old daughter declared that she was the "stupidest kid on the planet" and that she "deserved to die for being so stupid", to please just kill her. Hearing that from you child at any age is just agonizing. Turned out she was not stupid, by any means, and has blossomed with homeschooling and Time4Learning, which we have used from the beginning. I can only tell you that, for us, Time4Learning was a great way to start homeschooling. It was bright, cheerful, well presented, moved at my daughter's pace, and for me, it kept records and prepared lesson plans. It was so much easier to homeschool than to deal with the public school that I went from being someone who never, ever, ever wanted to homeschool, to a full supporter and participant in homeschooling. And I would never go back! My daughter's self esteem got better daily, and her ability to learn seemed to get better with it. I know it is not an easy decision to pull your child from school into homeschooling, and homeschooling is not for everyone, but from our point of view it was a wonderful choice.
    Best of luck with your decision!
    Linda
    Rep, Moderator, and...
    Homeschooler of 1 child for 4 years with Time4Learning~!