Is Time4learning all you need?
    mommy2two is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Is Time4learning all you need?

I am trying to decide if I want to homeschool my kindergardener next year or put him in public school. I am really torn.
    One question I am wondering is time4learning all you need? Or do you have to come up with other stuff to add in order for them to get a well rounded education? I plan to put him in private christian in about 2-3 years, I just need to make do until then and yet make sure he gets a good education in the mean time.
    I feel so lost and overwhelmed by the thought of homeschooling. I just wish there was an affordable program out there that would tell you what all your chid needs to do each day for each subject. Something to make is simple for me. Is this that sort of program?

Thanks!

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

hello and welcome to the boards

you are going to find that t4l is a very complete program that will provide you with an amazing foundation for your little one. that being said, you are going to find lots of us on here, that still add stuff to our day, more to balance out their interests. for instance, my 4th grader also does a bible study, a geography study, an in-depth look at inventors, and like 9 other things lol. but these are all things he WANTS to do, not because i find the system lacking.

what you won't find is a daily list of activities you need to complete for your child. this program leaves it up to you. you decide how much you think your child can handle in each subject for each day. is he hyperactive and can only sit still for 10 minutes at a time? t4l can work with that. does he like to play games on the computer for a long time? t4l can work with that too. the only thing that t4l does is suggest the best way for the program to work, what order to do the assignments in, and grades them and reports on their progress for you.

that being said, there are moms on here all the time that can share their lesson plans, ideas, work loads, etc .... actual real life homeschooling parents with real life problems and real life interruptions and - most importantly - real life SUCCESSES that will share with you and guide you.

we joined t4l a couple of years ago and it has simplified my life INCREDIBLY!! never have i worked with any kind of system that is so user-friendly and full of amazing people.

good luck, and i hope you join us soon!!! please let us know if you have any more questions ....
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi! Welcome to the forum!

I wrote an article about this question a while back. You might want to read What is a Complete Curriculum?

You will find Time4Learning more than adequate for math and language. It's great . . . and don't be concerned if it doesn't take very long each day. Read How Long is a Homeschool Day?

Time4Learning offers science and social studies as a free bonus. Beginning it third grade, the science and social studies lessons are "complete". Kindergarten science and social studies are supplemental. I like to use this Typical Course of Study as a guide, but remember that each curriculum or school will have its own ideas of what's "typical". I've covered the additional science and social studies concepts with my kindergartners through simple discussion, reading library books (about George Washington, rocks, plants, etc.), and Brainpop videos.

Remember, if your kindergartner were to go to a traditional school, much of his time would be spent building in the "block center", playing house in the "creative play area", playing with clay and paint for "art", singing and listening to children's songs, and so forth. A kindergartner's formal lessons should last less than an hour per day and the rest of the time spent on the above pursuits.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

mommy2two is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thanks to both of you for the info. You both answered my question very well and made feel just alittle more comfortable on my road to getting really comfortable with this decision I have made.

Momma Crystal is offline Senior Member

Yeah Mommy for Two! I find T4L very complete for Kindergarten. We add stuff too but like others said, because of what our children are interested in and because the things we add (Bible Devotionals) are something central to us as a family!

Good luck! You can do it!

Kelly I laugh at that least part of your post about how time a kindergartner would spend in the block corner etc. The last school I worked in (which was 5 years ago and has gotten worse since then) allowed those activities only on Friday and only for 30ish minutes. They did not have recess at the kindergarten level. How sad, this is a big part of why I chose to homeschool my children.

Mommy4Life Guest

Red face

I 100% agree with Yca(Jess)....
    We switched a few years ago to this program and am so glad we did...Such a stress relief knowing that my kids are learning what the Need to know,in away that is fun and less work for me ...and Yes we do add to it ,but its more with what my kids are into...Like this last weekened we visited a "Butterfly" musuem...So guess what we will be learning /talking about for awhile
    And my dd who is 8 really wants to learn about the human body..I mean detailed learning !!! so this is a extra thing we are studying.....
    Anyways,Hope i have helped...
    Keri

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

so love it when i'm agreed with! yay!!!
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

rowltyd is offline Junior Member Newbie

I will be homeschooling my son (who will be in 8th grade) next school year, for the first time ever. I'm making sure I'm understanding this correctly, Math & Language are TOTALLY covered, with no supplemental curriculum necessary to complete an entire school year, but I would need to find alternatives for his other subjects, correct? I liked what I saw on the Demo, and think he would do well with this program for math and language, but if it requires a supplement in both areas, it would be pointless for me to have both.