Is Time4learning a legal form of home school in the state of Texas?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By hearthstone_academy

Thread: Is Time4learning a legal form of home school in the state of Texas?

ang82368 is offline Junior Member

Default Is Time4learning a legal form of home school in the state of Texas?

I've just been granted custody of a young lady that was kept out of school for a couple of years by her mother. She is in 7th grade and should be in 9th and as a result of this she is on probation. I do not want to send her to public school with all that she is currently going through and need to know if Time4learning is an acceptable form of home school so the court will be satisfied. Can anyone help me?

Thank you

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi. Time4Learning is used as a homeschool curriculum in all fifty states. Each state has its own homeschool laws. Most of these laws are designed to make sure the student is actually learning, and not to dictate how you must teach or what curriculum you must use.

A lot of states (most of them, probably) limit homeschooling to the parents. You can't "have someone homeschool" your child (although you aren't prevented from hiring a tutor or arranging for your child to attend a class). The parent must be the teacher of record, though . . . the person overseeing the student's education.

Some states will allow a child's legal custodian to homeschool, but most will not allow you to homeschool anyone except your own child. Nothing is stopping you from teaching her at home, too, even if she must attend school. Many families use Time4Learning as a supplement to traditional school.

Texas is known to be homeschool-friendly. They don't require notification or testing of homeschooled children. Homeschools are considered private schools in Texas. All of the court decisions I have seen coming from Texas are based on parents' rights, and there is no "parent or legal guardian" language in them . . . so I'm not sure where you stand, legally. You might need to get special permission from the court that granted you custody. I would see an attorney in this case.
    lovehmschlg and ang82368 like this.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

ang82368 is offline Junior Member

Thank you so much!!

mommyk74 is offline Junior Member Newbie

I want to try time4learning with my 8th grader, buit I have no idea how to begin. Could you please guide me. About all I have done is research the homeschooling subject and I wish I would have don this waaaay before now. I am so excited to do this. I know this will be a challenge, but it will be worth it I am sure. Please email me if you can at [email protected]. I do not even know if this is a blog or a email. Thank You

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Mommyk74, have you looked into the homeschool laws of your state?
    If you live in Indiana, this is an analysis of the homeschool laws for your state. http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/indiana.pdf

It's recommended that you review your homeschool laws of your state before choosing any curriculum. Some states require parents to submit a Letter of Intent to Homeschool. Not sure if Indian requires this.

If you choose Time4Learning as your curriculum, you can start whenever you and your child are ready to start. One of the benefits of Time4Learning (T4L) is that all the lessons are already set up and there are progress reports, which make record-keeping easier (including attendance). So it's really a great curriculum for families who are new to homeschooling. T4L makes the transition easier.

Best wishes to you! If you want more information about homeschooling and/or T4L, you could email [email protected]
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass