Time4Learning vs. Compass Learning Odyssey
    tnajk is offline Junior Member

Default Time4Learning vs. Compass Learning Odyssey

My son is currently enrolled in T4L and I really like it.

There is a new Virtual Charter School available to us that I have been looking into enrolling my son at. One of the curriculum options that we can choose from is Compass Learning's Odyssey. I understand T4L is part of Compass Learning as well so I wonder how I can go about finding the differences? Does the curriculum look the same? Does anyone have any idea?

I like the fact that if I go with the Charter School I would not have to pay for the curriculum (even if it is only $20 a month!) But they are also offering us a computer and the possibility that they will also allow him to take a foreign language and possibly pay for extra curricular activities as well!

Would love to get feedback from anyone who has done the Odyssey curriculum before. Thanks!

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I am not sure about all your questions, however, my daughter used the state charter school last year (in addition to T4L). A computer is also offered, but the stipulations for actually getting one are not so easy, or they weren't for us. You have to be of a certain income level and lots of other things. They only have X number to loan out and so forth. It didn't work for us. We dropped out of the charter school at the end of Jan. You are considered public school with it and I didn't like all the emphasis on testing and it was hard to keep up with all the requirements they had. I didn't really have much control over what she did and didn't do. That in itself defeated the purpose of homeschooling for me. I know it works for many, it just didn't for us.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Oh, also, if you pay T4L quarterly, you can a bigger discount. It's only $14.95, if that helps.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Time4Learning has repackaged the curriculum for individual use. The have also added some extras, such as the Playound, art program, and a preschool.

If you use Time4Learning, you are considered to be homeschooling and you are subject to your own state's laws regarding testing, recordkeeping, and notification. You can use Time4Learning in the way that will provide the most benefit to your student. You can proceed as quickly or as slowly as necessary, repeat lessons, skip lessons, do them out of order, or skip back and forth between grade levels. You can use the tests, eliminate the tests, allow your student to use his notes on the tests, or allow open book tests. These are just some of the ways parents use the curriculum to meet their child's specific needs.

With a charter school, you are must follow their schedule and the typical, one-size-fits-all methods of using the curriculum. You also may have parent-teacher conferences and such things to deal with.

The individual lessons will look very much the same, although the package is quite different.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

SahmIam is offline Senior Member

I agree with Kelly. Going the charter route is appealling at first glance, but there are often many things you have to agree to in order to be part of their program. To me, it's worth the $15/kid to be able to make your own decisions regarding their education.
    Melissa.

Wmoon is offline Senior Member

Wow I learned something, Kelly.
    *~*Carol*~*
    The potential for happiness is all around you.
    You just have to dip a toe in.

MommaKnows is offline Junior Member

I know this thread is YEARS old, but I feel like a couple of questions weren't answered that really needed to be. I have homeschooled for 18 years, and currently use both Time4Learning AND Compass Learning through a parent partnership program. The original poster tnajk asked what the differences were. Let me expand on what others said. Time4Learning is Compass Learning Odyssey, packaged for the use of homeschoolers or families AT home. Charter and PPP's offer Compass Learning Odyssey to their families as an easy way to offer quality curriculum and be able to easily oversee their students. Here inlies the difference.

With Time4Learning, the parent is in charge of the assignments. We can allow our kids to repeat lessons and quizzes, skip lessons and even entire chapters. We can easily view their progress in our own parent account. With Compass, parents can have a limited parent access which allows us to generate reports. That is all. There is no repeating quizzes or anything that is graded. Once it is submitted as completed, they no longer have access to the assignement.

If you have a child with special needs, or one who struggles with reading comprehension or just tests poorly, Compass will frustrate him and you. My boys are attending a PPP this year as full time students. One is doing well with his Compass subjects (Life Science and English- 8th grade). The other was NOT able to pass anything.

I finally on the down-low, switched him back to Time4learning for Health and Biology so that I could control what he was assigned and make the accommodations he needs. He is 15 (10th grade) and on the Autism Spectrum. This is working well for us. His teacher at school knows what we're doing and I just print out his monthly reports rather than having her access them in Compass. I've offered to give her access to my parent account if there ends up being an issue with the school, which she is afraid there might be since Time4learning is not on the approved curriculum list EVEN THOUGH IT IS COMPASS LEARNING ODYSSEY. This is something we may end up taking to the curriculum board and the principal at the school, since we are setting up a 504 Plan for him and this is a necessary accommodation.

I hope that this helps some. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has searched out information for Compass. My search is due to gathering documentation for the school that they are the same curriculum, for what ever possible meetings or scenarios we may encounter.