Is too late to start this year?
    sbadahman is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Is too late to start this year?

I have 2 kids, a 14 year old daughter and a 12 year old son. My daughter excels at school and wants to stay in public school; however, my son needs a little extra help. My son has struggled in school since Kindergarten. I have tried everything to help him: public school, private school, tutoring, Sylvan, a Psychologist, EVERYTHING! My son is still struggling in school and now has no self esteem. His school now wants to place him in special classes starting on March 1st. I want to stop this at all costs! I think that home school will be a good alternative for him. My challenge will be balancing his home schooling with my daughter who still wants to stay in school. I am hoping to be able to pull my son out of school and start home schooling prior to the school placing him in the special education classes. Is it too late to home school him for the seventh grade since it is already February? HELP!!!

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

i answered on the other post, but i wanted to add that it is never too late in the year to switch to homeschooling. you will have to check with your state to see what there notification requirements are, but other than that, when you feel compelled, just do it. in our house, we don't follow the school year calendar, and i know lots of families that are the same. you're going to find that so many of the "normal" parameters in schooling just no longer apply to you.
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

One of the joys of homeschooling is the ability to do what is best for each of our children. If your dd is excelling in school and your major concern is for your ds then maybe you could start with pulling only your son and getting adjusted to his homeschool education and then see where your family is and how your dd feels.

Another great thing about homeschool as said earlier, is our ability to make curriculum choices, for whatever level is appropriate for our child regardless of 'grade' and to set our school 'year' to begin or end when it works for us(depending on the state, ex:CA has a minimum number of days to equal a school year).

The first time we started homeschooling we pulled the girls in March, and when we pulled ds from kindergarten it was February. Also, remember, you can homeschool whenever you want and you can put them back in public school whenever you want. So the decision is not written in stone, you can adjust as your family needs change. One time when ds was 4 mos. old my husbands job moved us and I had 3 weeks to move family of 6 and contents of 2,000sq ft house, so I put the girls in school for the last 3 weeks because it would be easier for record transfer when I had a million things to do. As I said, nothing is written in stone, and what is best for one child may be different for another. It's never too late to start homeschooling, if you know how to reach your son then you really would be the best teacher for him, also, isn't second semester about to begin? its actually perfect timing

Also, T4L makes it very easy and there is tons of support, also web searching online sources for your state may even be able to walk you through how to get started.
    Hope this helps
    Jennifer

SahmIam is offline Senior Member

Since he is struggling so much, I would try him at the beginning of the 7th level curriculum and adjust as necessary. It doesn't matter if it's September or May. The good thing about homeschooling with T4L is you can adjust it to his needs in each subject.
    Melissa.

catrahan is offline Junior Member

I pulled both of my children from public school in January of this year. They've both been catching up on things they were struggling with in school and they are both doing well. The site is amazing and they both enjoy it! I'm confident that they will pass the state exams they will be required to take in early April. It is mid year, but because they can work at their own pace, they have both caught up and passed their old school mates. My reasons for pulling my son are very close to yours and I'm finding that it was the best decision! My daughter is the one who wishes to return to public school next year, so we have decided to let her, but keep our son home since he is doing well and seems motivated with t4l. As Yca said, it is never too late to start homeschooling! Good luck to you!
    Crystal

susankhan is offline Junior Member

Hello, I just pulled my 6 year old out of kindergarten 2 weeks ago We live in Florida. Im not sure where you live or what the state requires. I know that you will get a ton of support on this website. I wish you the best of luck..
    susan

Syd'sMom is offline Member

My older child (son 15) is in public school and my daughter (13) home schools. My son has tried both, but he is a social bug and misses the big groups too much to stay home with us. My daughter sounds like your son. She was always just a little behind and it affected her self-esteem terribly. When I pulled her out, we found a placement test on line. I started her where she placed. We didn't talk about grade levels for two years. She actually started in fifth grade math; fourth grade science and social studies; third grade reading and language arts; and second grade spelling as far as the educational world was concerned. As far as we were concerned, we were starting where we could be successful and where we needed to be to fix the foundation I believe the public school system left many weak spots in. She is now in level 8 T4L across the board. She does an online middle school science curriculum with it and we still use a spelling curriculum we found that seems to help her. There are tons of resources out there. Without addressing the self esteem issue, I don't know how the public schools can expect these kids to thrive. You can do that for him. It is a juggling act to have them in different places, but to see them both happy and successful makes it worth the effort. Good luck.