Trying out Time 4 Learning but have questions.
    momstaxi is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Trying out Time 4 Learning but have questions.

1. Is there a way to block your children from going ahead and doing lessons that it is not time to do? It seems that the lessons let them go ahead even if they have not passed the lesson,quizzes or test. When I homeschool I make them get at least 80% or better to go on, that way I know they understand the material. They are also just picking the subjects they like and not neccessarily what I need them to do.

2. If there is not a way to block any suggestions? I have 3 children and I am running from computer to computer checking to see if they passed (2 second graders and 1 fourth grader) and trying to get them on to their next lesson. They get confused because the stars and arrows are telling them to go on and I am saying wait a minute you didnt pass this last lesson lets do it again. Am I missing something?

3. I know we can go back a grade in whichever subjects we need to but when we do then that subject doesn't seem to list the course number so I can follow along on the plan. I'm not thinking this is very user friendly. I have one more week of the free trial and then we have to decide to keep or go. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

SahmIam is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Trying out Time 4 Learning but have questions.

We have been using T4L for almost a year and we have found it to be very user friendly because of those arrows. The program will allow the children to go on once something is completed. This is especially helpful for students of varying abilities. If you want them to redo a lesson at the end of their session after you have gone back and checked their work, they can redo it by clicking on the lesson or by typing in the lesson number you find on your reports. If they are responsible enough to work independently, why not just tell them that they have to get a certain grade before moving on? I'm sorry, but I have never seen a program designed with zero parental involvement.
    Melissa.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi! Glad to have you with us!

Time4Learning is designed for maximum flexibility, so students can do lessons in any order and can proceed to the next lesson, regardless of the grade obtained.

If you want your children to do the lessons in order, teach them to follow the arrow.

When they take quizzes or tests, the program displays their grade. If you don't want them to proceed until they've obtained a certain grade, tell them to let you know when their score isn't sufficient. Most parents want to look at poor grades to see exactly what the child is finding challenging.

If you change grade level via the little numbers at the top of the launch pad, you will need to access the lesson plans for that level in order to follow along.

Be sure to read the Getting Started Guide. It's very helpful.

I still get my second grader started on most activities and then she can proceed on her own. I do need to sit with her while she does her math, because it's her most challenging subject. By fourth grade, most students can work mostly independently but, of course, all students need a tutor sometimes.

Please feel free to ask questions as they occur. It does take most people a couple of weeks to get comfortable with any new curriculum.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

mommatomyblessings is offline Member Regular

For me I have to sit with my kids while they are doing their work. My 1st grader and 4th grader I sit with them through all of there lessons each day to make sure they get it before we move on. My 7th grader I just sit with her through math. Having to sit with three can be time consuming and what makes it worse is that we have dial-up. But I have a schedule worked out to where they can alternate and do there alloted lessons a day and still be finished in an average of 4-5 hours of actual computer time combined for all. We also have it worked out to just a 4 day school week.
    Amanda & Travis

Parents to our 4 kids
    Lauren (Brooke) - 12
    Zachery - 10
    Sarah - 6
    Jackson - 2

hsforlife is offline Junior Member Newbie

You don't have to run to each computer, just log on as a student on your own computer to look at their reports.

mommy8 is offline Junior Member Newbie

I'm trying it out with my five kids. So far, they love it. I have questions as well. Where do I calculate the weeks with the activities for the year? I see the example but not the actual page to make it happen. Can someone help me.

mom2ahrj is offline Member

i'm still fairly new to t4l but i pick up on things fairly quickly and seem to have a knack for organizing (at least "some" things! lol!) - here's what i did because it seemed the count listed on the lesson plans wasn't exactly right - from the parent's login you can go to "lesson plans" and find a printable course layout (kinda like a syllabus) for each subject/grade - i then counted each lesson + quiz + test, took that # and divided it by the # of school days left in our year - that gave me the # of lessons for each day - if it was less than 1 then i divided the original # by the number of weeks left in the year - if that # came out to 4, for example, then i would schedule that subject for only 4 days each week

i hope this helps! if you have any questions, please feel free to ask - if i can't answer then i'm sure someone else on here can/will - this board is great!

jenn