use with other curriculum
    johnnyzlovebug is offline Junior Member Newbie

Question use with other curriculum

I have been looking into T4L for some time now. I love the school we are currently enrolled with because they are an accredited online public school (Ohio Connections Academy) but I feel that some of the basic concepts need more in depth enrichrichment or practice. We keep a pretty rigorous schedule and I am concern of overwhelming my 5th grade son who struggles a bit, especially in LA. I need to supplement vocabulary and reading comprehension because this is the area he struggles most with but have had trouble in the past because he still needs to stay on track with his normal lessons. Our school actually had him in Title I (year before last) and PACE (last year) which did help, but it was extra work and classes in addition to his regular LA course. It sounds like this may be helpful because it is not mandatory and he could move through it at his own pace and as time allows but I am concerned with frustrating him even more. I would love any opinions or suggestions, especially if you have a similar situation.
    Sincerely,
    Jen

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I would definitely not push him any harder, don'[t want to create frustration. T4L is a pretty fun place, so maybe he will actually want to do lessons. I know most kids really enjoy the site. Have him only work in small chunks of maybe 15-20 minutes at a time, and only on areas he either needs to improve or areas he really enjoys. Even if he begins only in areas he really likes, he will make improvements and be able to work in areas of need as time goes on. Also, try using our sister site, Vocabulary and Spelling City (free and a premium membership ava.). It is a super site for learning vocabulary, spelling, and practicing handwriting. It is game driven.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I agree with the beautiful Jackie ... My son doesn't always think that T4L is his "real" work, and often thinks that the other misc stuff I give him is more important. He enjoys the playful approach of T4L. I would suggest just trying T4L out for a couple of weeks and see how he feels. I certainly understand you not wanting to overwhelm him... so take it slow and just hit the most necessary parts first. Let us know if you need any tips and trips and how its working out!
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

Blog Entries

Aw, gee thanks for the sweet comment, Jess! (Blushing)
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

johnnyzlovebug is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thank you so much ladies! I appreciate that you understand my not wanting to overwhelm him. I think I have decided to give it a try and to see how the 1st month or so goes. From what I have seen so far, I am truly impressed. I am hoping to use T4L in place of some of his workbook practice to see if it will motivate him a bit more- he does much better on the computer than with a workbook in front of him, but honestly, last year I wore myself out trying to make interactive word documents or to find other sites that he could play free games on. Here I would have more of a variety and it could be all in one place. As I said, I love Connections, but I know how my son learns- I feel this will help him as well as give me a little break from some of the extra planning.
    Sincerely,
    Jen

Blog Entries

Great news, Jen! I want to give you another (free) site to use for learning games--Vocabulary Fun.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie