using time 4 learning alone
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ndphil10 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default using time 4 learning alone

I am still very confused as to starting my son 10years old using time4learning alone and nothing else. Is this a good idea or not. HELP!!!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Time4Learning is aligned with state standards and offers a "complete" program in math, language arts, science, and social studies (as well as a year's worth of art) at your son's age. Most parents will want to provide some electives, such as additional art, music, or foreign language. Penmanship is often added, along with a required amount of reading per day and perhaps a daily journal entry.

Because students differ in their learning styles and abilities, no curriculum can guarantee that it's all your child will ever need. Some students need more frequent review, and some benefit from including hands-on activities to reinforce the online lessons. Some students can fly through the lessons independently, and others need a parent sitting beside them to explain certain things in language that makes sense to them . . . or to make sure they don't skip activities!

If you are new to homeschooling, it's best to start slowly. Time4Learning is a great way to do that. As you become more confident and discover more about your son's learning style, you can might want to add some things that will benefit him, personally.

I often suggest that students who have never used Time4Learning in the past begin at a level below where you "think" they belong. This gives them a chance to get accustomed to a new way of learning before their lessons become challenging. You can easily bump them up a level later, and it's easier on their ego than moving them DOWN.

For what it's worth, my own kids have no idea that "level" in Time4Learning is supposed to correspond to "grade". They just think they begin at whatever level isn't "too easy or too hard" and keep going. I once had a fifth grader doing third grade math and seventh grade language.

Also, in our family, I keep loads of reading, writing, board games, active play things, etc. around and my kids aren't allowed to watch TV/DVDs or play computer/video games until 3:00 p.m., no matter what time they "finish" their lessons. This keeps them from rushing through just to get finished and assures that they are learning or engaged in healthy, active play during the weekdays. In the evening and on weekends, they can overdose on Wii if they want! Homeschooling is so efficient (because there's no role call, announcements, waiting your turn, etc), that it doesn't take up much of a student's day and it's easy to get to a point where they rush through their work and watch TV for the rest of the day, unless you set limits from the beginning.
    Last edited by hearthstone_academy; 08-12-2010 at 11:17 AM.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

We have used T4L since kindergarten. My son is in third grade now. This year we are adding Handwriting Without Tears and All About Spelling. We also do lots and lots of outings such as museums, nature centers and things like that. For us, T4L has been a good thorough curriculum. My duaghter tried it for a while with her children. She then decided to try other things. After spending hundreds of dollars on other curriculum that just did not work out for her family, she is back with T4L.

Kelly, we also have the no tv until after 3:00. But he has his own computer so I can't really limit it as easily.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Hey,
    We have used time for learning for 3 years now. We suppliment, but it is not because T4L is incomplete. My child gets more information in a year of T4L than she would in a year of public schooling. The reason we suppliment is because my child constantly wants more. We have added word ladders, penmanship, foreign language, music lessons, art lessons, and special projects. She has already gone through the Time4Art program twice. I expect she will do it again, because she loves it. With that being said, I think it is important to start slowly, we did not start with all the extras our first year. And believe it or not, many students need some sort of decompression time from public/private school when they transition to homeschool. I have read that it is a minimum of a month for every year they were in school. I don't know if that is true. Just remember that there are a lot of habits he learned in school that he might have to unlearn, or adapt in homeschool. I know that in the beginning of our journey I wanted someone to tell me EXACTLY what needed to be done, and how often but I have come to find out that taking a little advice from here and a little advice from there and molding it into what our school needs to be is the best course, at least for us. Best of luck in your homeschool journey, enjoy!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

MeMa is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ndphil10 View Post
    I am still very confused as to starting my son 10years old using time4learning alone and nothing else. Is this a good idea or not. HELP!!!
    Hi, I agree with all the reply here and could not say it any better. Just wanted to give you some positive encouragement here using facts. My kids have used T4L now for a few years, when we had to test for the state of Oregon as homeschoolers in 3rd and 5th grade they both tested 2/1/2-3 years ahead of their grade levels! and Language Expression was 13.0 GE for both kids. I was very pleased. Math concepts was 3 years ahead as well. They just did wonderful and to think I was sweating so much two prior to testing. LOL
    Me, the kids, the dog and the chickens.... Oh and a whole lot of books.
    I smile every day, but some days, life smiles at me and it's a darn good thing. LOL

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.
    W. B. Yeats

Strouse House is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I wanted to add what Kelly said. My son is on 4th Grade Language Arts, 4th Grade Science, 5th Grade Social Studies and 6th Grade Math.

My son does not even pay attention to the grade level. He just does what I assign him to do. I have to assign his day of work so that he will not skip things, like the quiz's.

He is on the lower grades for Science and Social Studies cause there are thing in those levels that he has not covered yet. He is in the 4th Grade Language Arts due to reading issues that he has. But he is actually at 6th grade level age wise.

I would like to share that my son is behind on reading, due to a learning issue. We have used t4ling on and off since 2nd grade. My son has used NOTHING but t4ling since January 2010 (hubby was in a motorcycle accident and we could not do more) when my son was tested in July he increased his reading level by 1 1/2 years!!!! I am NO longer sweating the small stuff, like is this program enough. I have proof that it is enough!!!

One more thing that works for us....
    We have a rule that he has to make a certain level on his quiz/test to be able to move on. If not he can retake the quiz/test a second time that day. If he does not meet the % I have set. Then he has to redo the whole lesson the next day.
    Brandy - Christian (86), Wife (93), and Mother (boy 99, girl 07,boy 08). Homeschooling since 2003. Come check out our adventures in life and Time4Learning.com at Five in Training For Him.

Brandy,
    We also do the minimum grade for quizzes and chapter tests. 80% is the lowest acceptable at our house. You can retake the quiz once. If the grade does not come up to 80% then the lessons must be repeated.
    On the other side of that...I allow her to take a quiz without doing the lessons but she must make a 90% if she wants to op out of lessons. If she opts to take a quiz without the lessons and makes less than 90% she can do the lessons then retake the quiz to get an 80%. Some people think this is kind of weird, especially since in many places 80% is the lowest B, those are the same places that a 60% is still passing with a D. I figure, if we can't do better than 60% then I am not doing my job as a teacher or a parent and I need to turn at least one of those duties over to someone else.

Linda
    Rep, Moderator, and...
    Homeschooler of one!
    Disclaimer: This is what works at our house, I don't claim that you should follow our house/school rules!
    Linda

Cathy is offline Senior Member

Geez I feel like the "meany" mom. My kids had to get a 90% or they did it over. They are both back in gifted p/s right now and it's only been 7 days..l..they are alaready telling me they want to h/s again. I suspect we will be back very very soon and I am THRILLED!!!!!
    P.S my oldest tested 8th, 9th and 10th grade on his standardized test after doing 5th grade t4l last year, and my youngr tested 4th and 5th grade after doing 2nd grade t4l last year!!
    We added visual link spanish, and big time kids for spelling.

LOL Cathy!
    You were not a "meany mom". Apparently, your high expectations worked out pretty well. I'm thrilled to see that they placed so highly. Congratulations, and keep up the good work! I hope your children are back homeschooling soon.
    Linda

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MamaToHerRoo View Post
    Linda
    Rep, Moderator, and...
    Homeschooler of one!
    Disclaimer: This is what works at our house, I don't claim that you should follow our house/school rules!
    Linda, I LOVE this signature!
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast