Very frustrated

Thread: Very frustrated

helener is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Very frustrated

I am finding this program to be incredibly hard to use. I want it to work, I am very computer savvy, and this is just not user-friendly.

For example, my son has completed a unit on the Olmecs in social studies. There were quizzes in each chapter, but when I ask for a report on that, there is no data. He finished the unit, but no chapter test comes up.

In Math, an icon has come up that is not on the legend...a box with a red 'R'. Having icons defined is a pretty darn basic part of a program.

It is difficult to make lesson assignments every day because ordered lessons are not necessarily in numerical order. For example, the first chapter on the Olmecs is 5710, and the next one is 5845, then it later skips back to 5841.

My son really likes the program, but I am spending in inordinate amount of time running into glitches.

witchly is offline Senior Member Guru

Default Re: Very frustrated

I promise that the longer you use it the easier it will be. It takes a couple of weeks to get the flow of it.

I'm sure someone from T4L could help you better understand the lesson plans and using them.
    Robyn
    Secular homeschooler of 1 son (14)
    http://feeds.feedburner.com/RobynsOnlineWorld.1.gif

Stephanie739 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by helener
    I am finding this program to be incredibly hard to use. I want it to work, I am very computer savvy, and this is just not user-friendly.

For example, my son has completed a unit on the Olmecs in social studies. There were quizzes in each chapter, but when I ask for a report on that, there is no data. He finished the unit, but no chapter test comes up.

In Math, an icon has come up that is not on the legend...a box with a red 'R'. Having icons defined is a pretty darn basic part of a program.

It is difficult to make lesson assignments every day because ordered lessons are not necessarily in numerical order. For example, the first chapter on the Olmecs is 5710, and the next one is 5845, then it later skips back to 5841.

My son really likes the program, but I am spending in inordinate amount of time running into glitches.
    I'm sorry you are having trouble! I've been using the program for about 7 months and its been working great.

When you tried to find a report, did you make certain dates, subjects, and activities were correct? As far as the Olmec test, I just went into the unit to see if I could access it, and I was able to.

Red R? No idea....I've never seen it....hopefully someone else will speak up here soon.

As far as lesson planning you could print the scope/sequence or just have your child follow the arrow.

I hope you get everything resolved because it really is a great program - very user friendly to me!

You could also try calling customer service. They are very nice and helpful people.

Good luck.
    ~Stephanie

mom to:
    Tori (13)
    Meghan (9)
    Andy (5)

aandwsmom is offline Senior Member

Have never seen a red R, am sure one of the tech or mods can figure that out.
    As for the lessons, I printed out the whole lesson plan for each subject, figured out how many he needs to attempt to do each week and I marked those. I do not go by #'s, because like you said they are not in order all the time.
    We usually follow the arrow, but I also cross-check with my lesson plans sheet.
    We have been using this since Oct. and it seems to be going great.
    I did have to spend a lot of time checking things out and get familiar with the system and how it works best for us.
    Hope that it starts to work for you!! Hang in there!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi! Welcome aboard, and I'm so glad you posted! The glitches you are experiencing don't appear to be glitches, but just part of the normal "getting acquainted" process. I usually suggest that parents take a few days to fully understand the program before getting their kids started on it.

First of all, be sure to read the Getting Started Guide and all of the Hints. They are very helpful.

Are you using the arrow? In the text-based lessons, the arrow will not point to the quiz or test icon when the student has finished a "page" of lesson icons. This is so the student can take some time to go back and study if he needs to before taking the quiz or test. When he is ready to access the quiz or test, he needs only to click on the quiz or test icon on the bottom of the page of completed lesson icons.

Quizzes and tests (in fact, all activities) must be exited properly in order to be marked complete and appear on the reports. Here is information on exiting activities properly.

I also want to make sure you know there is a difference between the "Recent Work" tab in your student's portfolio (backpack) and the "Reports" tab. The Recent Work tab is a quick way for you to check up on ALL recent access to the program, whether completed or not, and it retains information for a maximum of one month. Even parent previews will appear under "Recent Work". The Reports tab retains information indefinitely (although Time4Learning recommends printing a weekly report), and ONLY completed and properly exited work will appear under that tab. (There is a third tab in the portfolio, called "Assignments", which was designed to be used in a classroom, so is disabled for individual use. You can disregard that one.)

Be sure you are using the newest lesson plans, which you access by signing in as a parent and clicking a link at the bottom of the page. Lesson activities appear on these reports in the same order as they are presented in the curriculum. The reason the numbers are out of order is because Time4Learning is constantly updating the curriculum. Newer lessons are added and sometimes updated lessons take the place of older ones. This is a good thing! It's one advantage a computer based program has over a textbook. Because an entire textbook has to be reprinted every time there's an update to be made, they get stale more quickly than online lessons.

Where in math are you finding this "red r" icon? I'm going now to peruse the math program! It doesn't sound familiar, but we'll get it figured out! I love a challenge.

We're all here when you have questions . . . and you will probably have many during the first couple of weeks, so never hesitate to post. Before a month is up, you'll be the one giving advice!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

SahmIam is offline Senior Member

I'm sorry the program is so frustrating for you. I'm sure with Kelly's help you'll be up and rolling in no time!

We just do the lessons in order, following the arrow, and have had no problems whatsoever. If you want to have your child do certain ones, the numbers are all located on the lesson plans. Good luck!
    Melissa.

drgnstrm is offline Senior Member

I was wondering if anyone found out about the red R icon?
    Happy Homeschooling Dayna

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

I couldn't find the icon she was talking about. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

queen is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hello Helener:
    I'm a homeschool mom of 3 children 1 1st grader and two 3rd graders.
    Have you found the solution to your problem?
    Let me know.
    Oh, before I forget to tell you just in case you have not tried, or someone else may, or may not have told you, did you try entering the trouble shooting mode, and allowed your son to complete the assignments in there?

Best Wishes!
    Queen