Very interested with some questions!
    ncoselmon is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Very interested with some questions!

Hey there, My name Is Nicole and Ive got a 5 year old son who will be 6 in September. Weve been doing some kindergarten here and there (Not very structured) for this year. I am very interested in T4L as my son LOVES computer and Wii games so much that I think he would love this.

My questions are my son is very advanced in math. He can add double digits, subtract, and even multiply the small numbers. I know it says you can move at your own pace. I am very unsure what grade level he is operating in for Math. I know hes advanced but wouldnt know where to start him.

He doesnt care much for reading but knows all his letters and most of their sounds. I would want him to jump right into phonics and forming words and those types of things since he gets very bored with that letter sounds.

Because of his late birthday in our public school system he would be in Kindergarten this next year but I really want to give him things that challenge him and not stuff that is too easy. I dont plan on starting him until August but am curious if anyone knows what grade level I should start him in? Do you start with 1 grade or can you be one grade in math and a different in english?

Also How does the taking a break thing go? I know I would want to take most of December off, so would I not pay for 1 month and then start it up again or can you just take off 2 weeks? How does it work? Thanks!

Hi Nicole. I am new here too (last week) so I can't be a huge help, but I CAN say that Time4Learning seems great for this. My kids are also at different levels in math (except mine are behind in math and ahead in LA.) When you sign up for Time4Learning, you are able to use one grade above and one grade below. So, if you sign up for 1st grade, you can switch between K, 1st, ans 2nd grade. And, yes you can use it for different subjects. So far this has worked SO great for us!!!

I'm not sure about the 'vacation' settings and stuff, but I am sure several people will be along to answer.

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

welcome nicole!!

hot peppers was exactly correct in explaining the levels to you. you can move your child back and forth depending on their needs. one word of caution tho ... even tho he might be advanced now, it is sometimes helpful for them to go back and review as much as possible.

as far as vacation goes ... i've actually never used it because we go year 'round. but if i remember correctly, you can pay a reduced price for the time you want to be off.

please let us know how else we can help you start this journey, and welcome to the group!!
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi! Welcome!

He can work at different levels in different subjects and even jump between grade levels in the same subject.

To take a break, you submit a dormancy request. You'll then pay only four dollars per month during the time your account is dormant. You won't have access to the lessons, but your child's records will be maintained.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

kowgirl510@yahoo.com is offline Junior Member

Hi! I am new here also, I was wondering about the jump ahead in a grade level thing... how do I do this? The LA seems to be easy for my son, how can I try him on the next level and go back if I need to, or find a new spot in between?
    Thanks!!
    Dee from IL
    Homeschooling Mom of 2 sweet boys......
    for 6 years....learning something new every day!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

A picture is worth a thousand words! Here is some information that includes graphics on how to adjust the grade level.

A caution about deciding the language arts is too easy: This material is presented in SUCH an engaging and memorable format that kids generally do VERY well. It isn't that they already knew the material. It's that the method of presentation is so effective that they learn it quickly. His good scores may reflect what he is learning from the lessons and not what he already knew. Did I say that in a way that makes sense?

Unless he scores well on the quizzes BEFORE he does the lessons, I would keep him at his present grade level. You can find just the quizzes by accessing the lesson plans, looking for a language arts activity that says "quiz" and inputting its number in the Activity Finder. (You can only use this method of locating tests and quizzes with the core language arts and the newer math programs. In other subjects, you have to go in through the student's launchpad to find quizzes and tests.)

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

kowgirl510@yahoo.com is offline Junior Member

Thank you Kelly! I will definately take that into account. Very good point! I would rather him do well and fly through then skip ahead miss something.
    Dee from IL
    Homeschooling Mom of 2 sweet boys......
    for 6 years....learning something new every day!

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Good Morning Nicole,

I just wanted to tell you that I am the Mama of four wii loving boys and Time4Learning has been a HUGE HIT in our home. This is truly schooling in the 21st century. What I LOVE is that my boys went up more academically than EVER before in their year end testing because they were having FUN. Let us know how you're doing. (Big Warm Smile)
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

I agree with hearthstone_academy... and have also found it to be true with my own kids. Isn't it amazing how the parent can teach something over & over with seemingly little results, and a computer can tell them ONE time and the child "gets it"??? My kids are working through the lessons pretty fast (we are new to T4L last week), so I also wondered if the level was too low. But, what I did, was took a peek at some of the upcoming lessons and questioned my child to see if they 'know what a ____ is" and so on (example: homonyms). He had no clue. Then after the lessons, he told me what he had learned. I could tell he had 100% understanding of "what a ____ is." I tested this several times. So, I am sure that he is just learning it much quicker on T4L than from the usual worksheets that I teach with.