Want to try, but have a few questions
    label1114 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Want to try, but have a few questions

Hi. I'm trying to decide if I want to use Time 4 learning as a tool for summer learning. I have a 4th grader who is having a very difficult time in math and I have a 1st grader who has high functioning autism and auditory processing disorder. Both kids are doing well in school, but each has areas that we definitely need to focus on over the summer.

My question is how do we use time for learning over the summer as a review. I understand the course work is based on a 25 week curriculum. I don't want to get half way through and then not be able to complete it. Are you able to skip around to work on areas that are deficient? Is there some sort of assessment that can be done initially to determine "problem areas"? Also, how long each day do you spend on lessons? I want them to benefit from a program like this, but I am worried about burn out and having them feel like they are not getting a summer break. I have used summer bridge books in the past and while they worked in them without a problem (usually!), I just feel that they are not getting the practice that they need.

Thanks for your help.
    Lisa

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Want to try, but have a few questions

good morning, lisa, and welcome to the boards!

you're going to find that this program will be as laid-back or as throrough as you want it, that's the exciting thing about its flexibility! the fun animation and characters are going to make it seem more like a computer game than bookwork, which will most likely be more interesting to your boys. you can jump around however you want, standards are left for parents to assess (no governing board hanging around to tell you what you MUST do). something that might be helpful is to take some of the tests at the end of each lesson to kind of "place" them and see if during the year that was a topic they had issues with or not. if not, then you can skip it. but if they did, then have them do the lesson. you can have them re-take the tests so you know that they've mastered it.

something else to keep in mind is that you don't have to quit the program at the end of the summer, as it can be a great tool to help explain what they're doing in school. for instance, most kids always have drama with fractions (i know i did ... and still do, lol). lets say your son doesn't quite understand it the way the teacher is explaining it, he can come home, log on, and the difference in teaching can help it click, as well as give him extra practice.

i hope i answered your questions, some of the other moms will chime in too. let us know if you any more questions, we're here to help!
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

Oh, I forgot to ask. Is the math curriculum a "traditional" curriculum? My 4th grader learned this real funky way to multiply 2 digit numbers and long divide. She doesn't get it and is frustrated, so I think I am going to teach her the traditional way this summer (although her teacher told the class they had to learn it this way and will be tested on it this way next year - which I think is dumb IMHO).

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

that is moronic .... *sigh* when will schools just teach kids and stop being stupid?!?!??

i can't answer this question tho, lisa ... my son isn't there yet.
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Lisa, (((Welcome to the Boards)))

My face lit up as I read your post. I have three children with Auditory processing and one who has struggled in math for YEARS! Please read my blog post I just put up three days ago about using Time4Learning with APD kids. I think that will answer some of your questions. As far as how to use the program. If you are just using it for summer school purposes I would start them where you "think" they should be and if it's too hard move them down, to easy move them up. Then set how many lessons or how much time you want spent per subject and assign that each day.

Please don't feel as though you have to complete a grade level or so many lessons. Small consistent bites will give you more gain than HUGE chunks everyday. Their brains can only take in so much information. Even after they start back to school next year you can use Time4Learning after school or on your weekends. We have lots of families here who do just that! (smile)

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/681927/ (Using Time4Learning with APD kids)
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum!

Don't make "completing" anything your goal. Make "learning" the goal.

Your school should be able to tell you the areas in which your student needs practice. (If they can't, that could be part of the problem. ) You can actually print out the lesson plans and have the teacher circle suggested lesson activities. He/she should be very supportive of your child doing some summer study.

Math focuses on traditional methods. It also explores a few alternate methods, mainly as an attempt to get the student to understand WHAT they are doing and WHY they are doing it. Students who REALLY understand math do more than memorize the steps in division, for example. They understand why long division is worked that way.

Please share your summer learning experiences with us!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

SahmIam is offline Senior Member

I like the idea Kelly has for asking the teacher to circle the areas of interest. That would be really helpful imo.

The way the lessons are laid out, you click on the subject, then the chapter, then the lesson. So if you are looking for something specific to learn about, it's easy to find it. In the lesson plans, there are more in depth descriptions so that might be easier for you.
    Melissa.

Thanks for everyone's input, I appreciate it. I really just want to review the whole year. DD has made A's and B's all year, but can't pass the TAKS benchmarks that she has been given. The teacher can't understand why this is. It's more than test anxiety, she honestly hasn't a clue at times what she is doing. I just wanted to be able to go over everything and make sure I know what she has mastered and what she needs to work on. Doing each test before the lesson is a great idea and I may try that.

I am saying extra prayers this morning, she has her math TAKS today. She seemed OK when she left for school this morning, I am just hoping she doesn't get frustrated during the test.

My son (with APD) just finished Fast ForWord last week, so we are going to see what that does for him. He has actually been doing very well in reading and his teacher told me he is on grade level!! I have noticed problems with his spelling word list (he tends to spell phonetically which is common for APD kids from what I hear). He loves math, so I may push him a little in that area this summer.

Sorry for the rambling! It just seems like we just keep "fighting fires" this year. Can't wait for summer and see how they do and how things are for next year!
    Lisa