Wanting to know about 7th grade english
    evans3ins is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Wanting to know about 7th grade english

Hi. I will be enrolling my son (4th grade) in the program, but I have a question about my son that is in the middle of 7th grade. He is having a horrible time in english riight now. From the basics to diagramming sentences. Does this program cover diagramming? I was thinking about enrolling him where he can start over and learn things again. I was wanting to know some opinions on the english for 7th grade to see if it would be helpful.
    Thanks!
    Shannon

drgnstrm is offline Senior Member

We did 7th grade english with my son although we didn't cover everything in the LAextension, I didn't see anything for diagramming. This wasn't important to us, we worked on grammer and the relationship to the other words but never diagrammed a sentence.
    Happy Homeschooling Dayna

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Look at this post from awhile ago, where I addressed diagramming sentences.

Do you remember how to do it? Did you learn the same method your son is trying to learn? Have you used it outside of school?

Diagramming sentences is a rather old-fashioned attempt to help students understand the relationships between various parts of speech. That's an important thing to understand, but there are more effective ways for some students to learn that. Time4Learning covers parts of speech thoroughly, but not by diagramming (at least, not in any of the lessons my own children have completed).

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

drgnstrm is offline Senior Member

Totally agree Kelly
    We tried with my older son and it was a mess, he still couldn't figure it out after a month of trying. So we went back to learning the parts of speech and how they related to each other in a sentence without the diagramming. He went back to public school for highschool and had an easier time in english then his peers when it came to finding the parts of speech in a sentence.

So we no longer diagram sentences, before T4L we just skipped that part.
    Happy Homeschooling Dayna

Blog Entries

It's sort of like the difference between simple math computation and story problems. Many people can work math problems, but have trouble applying that to the kinds of calculations they are likely to encounter in everyday life.

Similarly, knowing how to diagram sentences is of limited value in improving overall language skills.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

witchly is offline Senior Member Guru

I loved diagramming sentences in school (call me goofy) - it was just drawing the lines and organizing things I think that I liked.

However, I don't know if my son will enjoy it or not. I might bring it up a couple of times, but if he doesn't get it then I'm not worrying about it. As others have said, how often as an adult (outside of homeschooling your child) has diagramming a sentence ever come up?
    Robyn
    Secular homeschooler of 1 son (14)
    http://feeds.feedburner.com/RobynsOnlineWorld.1.gif

Blog Entries

That's funny, witchly. I loved it, too, AND I am an "organizer". Maybe it takes an organizer's brain to appreciate it. Almost everything in my house is labeled or color-coded.

I used to look at other people's messes and wonder what was wrong with them. Now, I realize I'M the "weird" one.