what is the best way to get started?
    Jbritzell is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default what is the best way to get started?

Hi. I was hoping that I could get some info on the best way to get started with homeschooling. This is all new to me and after reading everything it does get a little overwhelming. We have 2 sons, ages 13 and 9 that are currently unhappy in public school. Our youngest has missed a lot due to illness' and the school has been less than accomodating in letting him make up work so now he is failing and our oldest son has had his fair share with bully's. My husband is also concerned that if I homeschool that this will in some way have a negative effect on their education in the furture. And last but not least, I do have a chronic illness that he is concerned about as well but in my heart I know I am doing the right thing and if anything it will be better for my health knowing that our sons are safe here and can help out when needed. I'd appreciate any help and advice ya'll can offer.
    Thanks for having me here too!
    Jackie in Texas

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Jackie. Time4Learning has prepared a Welcome to Homeschooling Guide. It's a great place to begin your research.

Here is a great study regarding how well homeschoolers do academically. Your husband might be interested in it.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Jbritzell is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Thank you Kelly!

I wanted to thank you for the info you sent me. My husband wanted me to find out if there will be any problems if we pull out our youngest son now, its the end of the 2nd 6 weeks. I told him that I didn't think it matters because I am going to home school. I think what he is concerned about is if we want to put him back in PS after we move, or if it will cause problems next year if he goes back to PS. He just got his report card Friday and in addition to 25 missed days of school because of his re-accuring illness, he has mostly incomplete grades, and the grades he did manage to inprove are B's. I have already printed out the letter to send to the school for withdrawling him. Last year he missed so much school he had to go to SS because he didn't have enough credits so I think that is what my husband is thinking about as well. Hope this all makes sense. Also, our oldest is in Pre-AP classes and just brought home all A's so my husband is now hesitant to withdraw him.

Thanks again for all your help!
    Jackie

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Good luck to you, Jackie.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!